Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 12    Views: 1264

Walms
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 24, 2011
Derby
02/22/13 09:00 AM (11 years ago)

Over the air distribution, anyone got it working?

i've configured OTA distribution for iOS according to BT guide. I have archived build ready for adHoc distribution with correct name (app.ipa), uploaded required files to correct directory. However when I access the OTA installation url on my device to test, I get the correct installation page but clicking the app icon to install returns a "Cannot connect to [domain]" error. Has anyone managed to successfully configre and use OTA distribution? This is a great BT integrated way to send AdHoc builds to clients and would like to use more often

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/22/13 01:13 PM (11 years ago)
I have a couple of issues I haven't quite nailed down yet, with respect to OTA. I've found that I have to modify my app.plist to reflect an 'actual' path, and not a dynamic path such as supplied by the BT control panel. So, while it 'tells' me to use 'www.myapp.com/?download/ERCGYT6UJIODA' or some such I have to use 'www.myapp.com/files/applications/ERCGYT6UJIODA/source-ios/app.ipa' in my plist in order for my OTA to work. I can also just put the IPA in any server directory, and if they're provisioned, they're fine. Cheers! -- Smug

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Reg: Nov 05, 2011
Rhode Island
02/22/13 03:45 PM (11 years ago)
You'll need to have the clients device ID number assigned to a signing certificate, sign the app with that certificate then send the URL to the client. The client then downloads the app to their computer and installs the app to itunes, then sync their device. Pretty straight forward.

Walms
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 24, 2011
Derby
02/22/13 03:58 PM (11 years ago)
ive done that but testing the url on my device 1st and it doesnt work? i can send the ipa and have him install manually via itunes but this pretty much defeats the purpose

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
02/22/13 06:20 PM (11 years ago)
You don't have to have anything fancy to do OTA... you just need a valid URL to the ipa file... But if you're going to do the 'BT' OTA method, you'll have to edit the plist file for the app. Try putting the ipa up on your server somewhere (http://www.myserver.com/mytestapp.ipa), and then use a provisioned device and try a download. It should go just fine... Cheers! -- Smug

Bonzo
Apple Fan
Reg: Jan 30, 2012
Basingstoke
05/19/13 01:59 PM (10 years ago)
Has anyone done a guide to follow on this? Because I'm struggling :)

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
05/20/13 04:09 AM (10 years ago)
Genuinely, the simplest method is to merely put the ipa file somewhere that it can be found on the internet, and have the device download it. files.yourserver.com/myapp.ipa Keeping in mind of course, the app will have to have been built with a provisioning certificate that includes the proper devices, otherwise it will fail mid-download, usually. Cheers! -- Smug

Bonzo
Apple Fan
Basingstoke
05/20/13 06:56 AM (10 years ago)
Smug, (or anyone in the know) Thanks for our responses so far. help me out here....because something that looks like it should be easy, isnt working for me. I just want to clarify my steps with you if i can please. I ultimately want to release this to the app store (and not an ad hoc way). so when i created my provisioning profiles for the app, i chose "iOS App Development" under the development options (the only option) and when creating my distribution option, i chose "App Store" (and not Ad Hoc) Both of these profiles have all my devices listed to them. 1. I'm not sure if thats my problem, but i dont want to 'Distribute' in an Ad Hoc manner. In XCode >> build settings >> code signing identity..... Adhoc = iPhone Developer Any iOS SDK = iPhone Developer Debug = iPhone Developer Any iOS SDK = iPhone Developer Release = iPhone Distribution Any iOS SDK = iPhone Distribution How i built .ipa 1. Made sure my device was set to iOS Device (and not a simulator or physical device) 2. Chose 'Product' >> Archive Organizer opened. 3. Highlight the archive and click 'distribute' 4. Chose 'Save for Enterprise or Ad-Hoc Development 5. code signing identity was iOS development 6. saved as app.ipa uploaded to hosting, and the tried to open link in safari = "Download failed - safari cannot open this file" can you spot my obvious mistake ?? (because i cant) Thanks Steve

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
05/20/13 01:59 PM (10 years ago)
Well, OTA was 'meant' for big corporations such as Intel or Hewlitt Packard, where their IT department might create some app that is exclusively for the company, and not to be released via the App Store. They would just distribute it to the employees via their intranet web site. So when you create provisioning certificates, "OTA" isn't really in the picture yet. Just an app and a device. You "do" want to choose 'ad hoc' for your distribution. And you want 'corporate'. But the failure indicates that the device and the app aren't covered by the same certificate. Let me see if I have any notes. Cheers! -- Smug

Bonzo
Apple Fan
Basingstoke
05/21/13 06:36 AM (10 years ago)
Choosing Ad Hoc distribution won't effect me later along the line when I want to submit to store? I assume I am allowed 2 distribution Certs

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
05/21/13 02:17 PM (10 years ago)
AFAIK, you only get two certs per app; one development, and one distribution. 'Ad Hoc' distribution won't affect your Apple Store submissions. Cheers! -- Smug

RawlsEnterprises
I hate code!
Reg: May 21, 2013
Los Angeles
06/18/13 10:36 PM (10 years ago)
Anybody get this working? My app works fine on my provisioned iPhone5 and iPad3 from xcode, but I need to be able to download them over the air without using a computer and xcode. I archived my app and uploaded the app.ipa and app.plist files but when I go to the iOS Install Screen url I get this error: "There was a problem processing your request. This applications download directory could not be found?” any help?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
06/18/13 11:41 PM (10 years ago)
I answered in your other post; hope it helps. Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.