Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 8    Views: 140

Marko
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 04, 2011
UK, Alcester
01/20/12 05:09 AM (12 years ago)

Tip for using apps to help get a job

I thought I would put this out to show how a quick app can help with the interview process- I had an interview for a company and thought as a little exercise I would do an app just for my phone with a few of their products in a gallery and a couple other basic screens linking to specific pages on the website. Apart from the fact that the interviewer looked like Hannibal the Cannibal and had keen interest in being my friend, he was blown away to see his company on a iphone with app. I said I had done the app to research the role and products, it had taken me no longer that a couple of hours to construct. The recruitment agency contacted me saying that the boss had informed them it was on of the most impressive interviews he had ever seen. The job wasn't the right fit for me ( I like my vital organs in my body not in my bosses intestines), but I thought it might be useful info for anyone looking for a job and looking to impress.

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
01/20/12 06:11 AM (12 years ago)
Good stuff and gave me a wee chuckle with my morning coffee. Happy Friday!

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 22, 2011
location unknow...
01/20/12 07:28 AM (12 years ago)
Such a good use of the platform - great idea Marko

Marko
buzztouch Evangelist
UK, Alcester
01/20/12 09:21 AM (12 years ago)
Thanks for the comments. ps Macapple I too bought a man bag from overseas and in Barcelona (Macapple bought a Italian man bag as noted on previous posting) I looked like one of the hip young things in the spanish miami, back in the celtic lands I have had more stick for this bag than anything else with certain family member telling their wives not to worry about bringing there handbags as they can put there make up in my giant handbag)

MacApple
Apple Fan
USA
01/20/12 09:35 AM (12 years ago)
Great stuff. I would never wander the old streets of Glasgow with it never mind Kentucky. Good stuff. That said I have a very fetching laptop shoulder bag.

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
Reg: Oct 03, 2011
location unknow...
01/20/12 10:23 AM (12 years ago)
True story, several years ago, a man was shot and kill for having a handbag here in Nashville. They take their guns everywhere, I suppose no would carry one in a manbag as it would take to long to draw.

Marko
buzztouch Evangelist
UK, Alcester
01/20/12 10:40 AM (12 years ago)
Fred I know I shouldn't laugh but I have visions of a defence lawyer working an angle on that case. I just dont get the gun culture, if I every wanted to hurt someone I would get my old Irish mother to give one of her lectures on some incorrect fact of Ireland and how things were better in the past. I showed her an app I had worked on for months and she said dismissively when an iphone can make a good cup of tea I will get you to buy me one.

MacApple
Apple Fan
USA
01/20/12 11:01 AM (12 years ago)
Gun culture is a strange one. Surrounded by them here, not through choice. Know a few folks that have enough to keep the Russians at bay (we are still fighting them, yeah?) for a couple of months.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
01/20/12 01:40 PM (12 years ago)
good stuff. great tip. companies love it when you've researched them a bit before the interview but building them a mockup app is definately gonna set you apart and get your resume pushed to the top of the stack. hopefully the next interviewer looks more like a Sweedish model!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.