Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 19    Views: 304

themasterrookie
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 08, 2012
abq
02/09/12 04:46 PM (12 years ago)

I NEED LOTS OF HELP. LOTS!!!!! IM A BEGINNER

I have zero programming skills... My computer skills are basic. I am wanting to create an app andriod. I have built the basics on buzztouch. I have downloaded all the necassary software (eclipse, JDK, etc...). What is my next step because I am COMPLETELY LOST! HELP

themasterrookie
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 08, 2012
abq
02/09/12 04:50 PM (12 years ago)
Eclipse when i try to run it... it says its unable to find companion shared library? what and where is that?

Sister
I hate code!
Reg: Feb 09, 2012
location unknow...
02/09/12 04:52 PM (12 years ago)
Ill be watching this, Im new to this too, any advise would be great

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
02/09/12 05:03 PM (12 years ago)
Have you tried building the good old 'hello world' app yet? Watch the sixth video on this page showing you how to set up Eclipse and make a simple app and run it on your emulator. Should take around half an hour. http://www.buzztouch.com/videos/

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/09/12 05:06 PM (12 years ago)
Hello @themasterrookie and @Sister, Welcome to buzztouch! Here is a document that shows you exactly what you need to have available to get into the app development game: http://www.buzztouch.com/resources/Things_You_Need_Before_You_Start_Developing_Apps_v1.0.pdf And this document shows you exactly how to set up your Eclipse environment: http://www.buzztouch.com/resources/Setting_Up_Your_Android_Development_Environment_v1.3.pdf And this link has TONS of extra info that you'll probably need at some point! http://www.buzztouch.com/resources/ Give the docs a read...try to do what they outlined...and then post back if you run into any problems you can't resolve yourself! And, like @MacApple said, watching the videos is a good thing as well. All these are excellent investments into the process. Mark

Sister
I hate code!
location unknow...
02/09/12 05:27 PM (12 years ago)
Nice ... thank you both.. Ill get to work on these!

Zelazny
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 05, 2012
London
02/10/12 05:41 AM (12 years ago)
I've had some luck with having apps compiled through fiverr.com for Android. It's relatively cheap and saves me messing around with Eclipse and getting lost. Gigs like http://fiverr.com/androidappman/compile-your-buzztouch-app-in-eclipse-for-android for android (and http://fiverr.com/chilled35/compile-objective-c-source-code-in-xcode for iOS? Not tried it) seem well worth the money.

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 25, 2011
Bryan TX
02/10/12 07:42 AM (12 years ago)
If it costs money, I would say its not worth it. Setting up eclipse might be a pain, however wants its setup, and you get the basics. Compiling and shooting out apks is fairly easy. Follow the tutorials and check out the help page and videos. Should get just about anyone up in running in just a few hours.

MacApple
Apple Fan
USA
02/10/12 07:45 AM (12 years ago)
I agree with Zackamo 100%, good shout mate.

Zelazny
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 05, 2012
London
02/10/12 07:47 AM (12 years ago)
I guess it's down to personal choice. I have just about puzzled the eclipse setup out now, but that's largely because I wanted to add ads to one of my apps. It was a real headache, but I finally managed it - just not sure I can be bothered to do it again, when I can pay someone ~£3 (or what I get paid for about 10 minutes work in my job) to do it for me.

MacApple
Apple Fan
USA
02/10/12 07:49 AM (12 years ago)
It is always personal choice but I have always thought of BT as a place of learning.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
02/10/12 07:52 AM (12 years ago)
>>>like @MacApple said, watching the videos is a good thing as well. All these are excellent investments into the process. No question about it. WATCH them and make a dummy app first. you really have to crawl before you start to walk. don't look for a shortcut. put in the time. sketch your real idea out on paper and then note what parts of the starter Hello World app you will use in your app. you'll start to see modules and things you can apply to your app goal Everything you need is here, including some of the most helpful people learning to use BT just like you guys! everyone starts at the beginning. i've only been hanging around here a few months and i'm live on itunes now with an app for my company and now i'm working on a handful of projects and ideas to develop outside my job. lots of them are just on notebook paper now with notes from here based on things i want to try.

Sister
I hate code!
location unknow...
02/10/12 08:21 AM (12 years ago)
Would any of you mind showing me an app you have made, so I can see what really can be done? or giving me an idea of how far you can really take it. Im a artist here in Portland Oregon, I do both paper(drawing)and graphic work, so Im pretty versed in the visuals...but when it comes to this sort of stuff I fall a bit behind.... I havent gotten a chance to look at the videos yet, I am going to do that now. You all have been awesome, thank you for replying! Rookie, thanks for the original posting!

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/10/12 08:24 AM (12 years ago)
Sure.. this was my first one. Used 1.5 for this project. App Store http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chilifest/id498415006?ls=1&mt=8 Android Market https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chilifest

Sister
I hate code!
location unknow...
02/10/12 09:11 AM (12 years ago)
Zackamo....now you see that is truly awesome!! Thank you for showing me those .... that is why more advanced than I thought it would be.. im really looking forward to this. BTW.. I checked out your website too... Im a huge fan of Slap you mama! lol

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/10/12 09:15 AM (12 years ago)
Which website? I definitely won't claim chilifest.org's site. I tried to convince them to let me redo it, but they went with someone else and are now regretting it.

Annonymous
02/10/12 09:31 AM (12 years ago)
no... the Kristen Dist. one

Sister
I hate code!
location unknow...
02/10/12 09:41 AM (12 years ago)
the Kristen Dist. one

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/10/12 09:43 AM (12 years ago)
Ah yes. Not mine, but now I see the slap yo mama. Ha!

Sandeep
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 01, 2012
Miraj, India
03/22/12 12:27 AM (12 years ago)
Hello everyone! I was wondering would any one of you help me in setting the interface of my app correctly. I am new on BT and have no programing skill, however, with the help of BT (yes, i owe a lot to bt for giving me a chance to create apps without any professional knowledge) i have created an ebook app which has button menu on homescreen which leads to a menu list screen, which further leads to custom text screen. The home screen which has button menu appears to work fine on the simulator and on my Galaxy S, however the buttons get enlarged on my Galaxy Fit and the background image that i've put captures whole screen. I have thus created as many as three apps but at the end when i tested on different devices, i've lost my vision as to how to fix this problem. @Zackamo I checked your app on google play and the menu button on homescreen you created is what exactly i want for my app. I would be really thankful to all of you if you help me is sorting my problem.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.