Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 15    Views: 358

icedbreeze
I hate code!
Reg: Nov 09, 2010
London
04/22/11 07:01 AM (13 years ago)

Major Updates to 'Live' apps on the App Store, Is it possible if...

I currently have an App pending for submission to the App store and I was wondering about big updates to the Apps. IF I was to change my mind about the layout and design of the App (App 1) and started a fresh one... Is it possible to create a second App (App 2) on Buzztouch and then submit App 2 as a 'major' update for App 1? The reason behind this is purely if I was to start fiddling with it, the end user would have a poor experience with the App. So if i was to essentially re-make my App and make several improvements, could I submit that as an update rather than tampering with my current version of the first app? Apologies if this doesnt make alot of sense im not great at explaining!

Ninjaselo
Apple Fan
Reg: Apr 04, 2011
TR, Izmir, Alsa...
04/22/11 07:04 AM (13 years ago)
I totaly understand you, that's why I started a topic like this: buzztouch future feature request (in BT v1.6 maybe?) http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=580B05FEAD7F79DF9FCB595&status=&searchInput=search...&sortColumn=FT.dateStampUTC&sortUpDown=DESC¤tPage=1&doViews=1

gotfox
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 05, 2011
Las Vegas
04/22/11 08:59 PM (13 years ago)
I currently have a v1.4 app in the store and have a v1.5 app pending review. It's totally doable, you just have to have to edit your plist file before you submit it to them for the update or else they'll see it as a new app. And @ninja, I totally agree with your feature request!

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
04/22/11 10:43 PM (13 years ago)
This is on ongoing disucssion around here. After you create an app, tinker, design, adjust then submit, adjustments can become complicated, or 'risky' - nobody wants to release untested features in their apps. Our solution: We've been working on buzztouch LIVE for awhile. It's our own app that you'll be able to get from the App Store / Android Market. This app will allow you to log into your buzztouch account and see, preview, test your apps before commiting any changes to your actual app. We're not close to releasing this but it is coming. No way to predict when it will be released but it is moving up the priority list. We can also imagine lots and lots of other uses for buzztouch LIVE and look forward to finishing it.

erichopf
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 14, 2011
NY, NY
04/23/11 05:22 AM (13 years ago)
David, Perhaps a interim fix would be the copy feature you spoke about previously. A way to copy the existing app as is and save as a Copy, then tweak and test the alterations live on devices? It would also help when we are making multiple apps with the same setup for different cities, etc. Just thought I would throw the idea back out there.

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 03, 2010
Medford, MA
04/23/11 07:45 AM (13 years ago)
Hey guys, I think we have all been dealing with this in some way and I couldn't quite decide how to go about it with my app. What I finally decided to do and am very excited now that I finally got this working is to completely disconnect my app from the buzztouch control panel. Here's why... 1. whenever I make even a tiny change in my control panel the user gets a notification to refresh which clears their cache and they have to reload everything over again 2. often I'm playing with new screens or contents and am not sure how its going to look or if it will even work and would rather them not see it 3. many of my files I want to include in the project itself but once I add that option in the control panel I feel compelled to provide a temporary url otherwise the user will see the option but nothing will load. And if I do provide a url, when do I change it back to the local file? How long do I give them after an update? This is very easy to do. If you go into the config.txt file and delete the reporttocloud and dataurl info (and perhaps a cached version of the file, see below) the app will will simply run off the config.txt file included in the project. It will even remove the mandatory refresh icon on the top left corner of the home screen. You can now make any changes you want to your control panel in between updates and the user won't see it. Then, before you send off a new update, just download the lastest version of your config.txt file for your project and voila... all the changes are there! Maybe you'll want your users to see instant updates but I think this will work best for me. For more info see my discussion with Dave below: http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=D3CD0FDE094A0A8363158E5&status=&searchInput=menu&sortColumn=FT.dateStampUTC&sortUpDown=DESC¤tPage=1&doViews=1

icedbreeze
I hate code!
London
04/26/11 06:40 AM (13 years ago)
I'm very excited to try this out thanks mutzy. If this works it will be great! I'll let you know how I get on as I am a complete novice but this is something that would help me so much. So if I've got this correct, by disconnecting from Buzztouch control panel, we can make as many changes on Buzztouch without the end user seeing this (until we release an update on the App store)? With that said could it still be possible to download the project and test on our devices before an update release? I would assume to do so I would have to make the above changes and send as an update (if my app was already on the store?). From then on I could use your method?

erichopf
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 14, 2011
NY, NY
04/26/11 06:46 AM (13 years ago)
Iced- Yes, you could still have a test copy compiled and installed on your device.

icedbreeze
I hate code!
London
04/26/11 09:49 AM (13 years ago)
Im having a hit and miss session with deleting the DataURL. Ive managed to get my App to work a few times however there seems to be a 50/50 chance for the App to launch successfully, I keep receiveing and error code of: 'Error launching remote program: failed to get the task for process 544' - although this number does change. When launched successfully the refresh button does dissapear which is good. So im on the right track.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
04/26/11 11:36 AM (13 years ago)
I've never seen this: Error launching remote program: failed to get the task for process 544 but seems like others have: http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/iphone-sdk-development/28403-error-launching-remote-program-failed-get-task-process-1533-a.html

elaine
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Dec 26, 2010
Ireland
04/26/11 08:49 PM (13 years ago)
@phaques: ill be making a few of my 1.4 apps into 1.5 soon. Could you let me know exactly what you did inthe plist file? Thanks a million :)

icedbreeze
I hate code!
London
04/28/11 01:12 PM (13 years ago)
Mutzy, I am trying to use your above method however when I go ahead and delete the Buzztouch dataURL from the BT_config.txt file and run the App I run into the following error code. ' The configuration data for this application is invalid.' Any ideas on what would be causing this?

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
04/28/11 09:39 PM (13 years ago)
@ icedbreeze: You could always use the super-duper JSON Validator tool here http://www.jsonlint.com/ to check the configuration data? I saw your other post about 'white-space' and hope you've got this figured out.

gotfox
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 05, 2011
Las Vegas
04/28/11 09:54 PM (13 years ago)
@elaine You'll want to double check these entries... These you'll want to be the same as your 1.4 app: CFBundleDisplayName CFBundleIdentifier CFBundleName This one you'll want to be a higher number than the previous. I went from 1.0 to 1.5: CFBundleVersion

elaine
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Dec 26, 2010
Ireland
05/07/11 06:03 AM (13 years ago)
Thanks Phaques :) 1.5 version of a 1.4 app uploaded to itunes for review. My first iPad app! :D

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
02/24/12 08:12 AM (12 years ago)
is the method MUTZY descibed above the way some of you have worked with updates when you have approved APPS on the iTunes store? is this method similiar to what Mark and Parker discussed here? http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=7ADF5AF081CF1BB6F9B6A56&status=&searchInput=UpDate&sortColumn=FT.dateStampUTC&sortUpDown=DESC¤tPage=2&doViews=1 My app is on the store and approved. The last thing I wanted to do before releasing it to the field is one successful update on the iTunes store, just so i am familiar with the process. Proof of concept so to speak. Just want to see it tick from ver 1.0 to 1.1 so that i know i can do this going forward. I'm not changing it much, but i have updated some graphics i used in the app and they were part of app. These break in the app now when i change the names in the BT panel. I'd prefer to not use URL's for the new images but fear i'm stuck with this now....? anyone who has done succesful upddates to live app on the store....tips/experiences....

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.