Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 11    Views: 220

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 29, 2015
Canberra
08/23/15 01:40 AM (8 years ago)

Error - no context menu found with this nickname.

So I have just copied my app over to my own self host platform but I am having some issues with the navigation bars. I purchased the App Copier plugin and for most part it seems to have worked really well. When I try and save in the button layout, in the colour section of the Menu Buttons plugin, I get the following error; {"result":"error", "errors":"No context menu found with this nickname"} I also can't save the background colours in the navigation bar either. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this. Thanks. Rob

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
08/23/15 03:04 AM (8 years ago)
My guess is that in your app copy, either there is no longer a context menu or its name was changed. I suggest you go to the menu buttons plugin and check the link to the context menu.

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Canberra
08/23/15 03:22 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks AlanMac, that has fixed the error (I had rebuilt and renamed my context menu after coping but didn't update each of the menu screens..... thanks for that! So now I can save without error, but for some reason it won't actually save my colour preferences? For example I have changed all of the navigation bars to a blue colour but they are all white. The only thing that has turned blue is the back and refresh button. Oh... and the context menu doesn't show up at all!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/23/15 06:03 AM (8 years ago)
My suggestion would be to check a few things... 1) The 'theme' of the project as a whole. Located in it's own control panel screen for your project, it contains various 'global' settings for your app appearance. But wait, there's more! 2) Each screen (usually) allows for similar settings, which could contradict your 'theme' settings. In these cases, you may want to set the color to 'clear' to allow the theme to be the 'master' setting. You'll probably want to check each screen to ensure the settings. I'll usually search the project json file (by json key, ie "backgroundColor") to see which screens I need to change. 3) Context menus have to be assigned, so create it in your 'menu' control panel screen, and then assign it in a menu screen, usually via the 'Top Navigation Bar' config area of the plugin control panel settings... Hope this trims a few things off the list... Cheers! -- Smug

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Canberra
08/23/15 04:35 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks Smug, appreciate your advice as always! 1. I have tried to ammend the overall theme, changed the setting from clear, to white, to a different colour and then tried those various combinations on the actual page navigation bar as well but none of that seems to be helping. 2. I have tried the JSON data but nothing seems to be out of place. 3. I have played around with the context menu, deleted it, rebuilt it, renamed it, named it back to the original but that doesn't seem to help. Strange that I can't even see it in the Nav Bar. I'm stumped!

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/24/15 11:17 AM (8 years ago)
Worth bearing in mind that the values in the theme is over-ridden by whatever values you enter in your plugin screen, as Smug mentioned. Usually this all works smoothly, so I am wondering if there are any side effects of App Copier plugin - only speculating as I have never used it. Maybe try hand crafting a test app or go back to your original app and cross-compare settings? Alan

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Canberra
08/24/15 05:01 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks Alan, appreciate the advice. I have been trying to update the plugin screen (in fact I have updated them all) but no luck. The old app had colour on each of the navigation bars but now nothing. I could probably live without the colour in the navbar, but I need to fix the context menu because that has some pretty important content in there. I'm trying to get in touch with Chris (the developer) but I only know how to contact him through here and he hasn't answered my PM as yet.... hopefully soon because I want to submit it for approval in the next week but I can't with a broken menu! If anyone knows an email address I might be able to reach him on could you please PM. Thanks! Rob

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Canberra
08/24/15 08:23 PM (8 years ago)
Ok, so I have an update. I have just been through my Xcode files and I can't find BT_contextMenu.h or BT_contextMenu.m. Do I need to add them to the project, and if so how?

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Canberra
08/24/15 10:02 PM (8 years ago)
Final update.... I played with it, I broke it. I tried again, I broke it some more LOL. I have now redownloaded the package and it works as it should! Thanks to everyone for their input trying to help solve my issue!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/24/15 11:23 PM (8 years ago)
I'm pretty sure that's happened to all of us at one time or another. As a tinkerer myself, I can attest to several occasions where a fresh download was the only thing I could do to save myself, lol! Glad you're back on the street. Cheers! -- Smug

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Canberra
08/25/15 12:50 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks Smug, nice to know I'm not the only one LOL

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/25/15 11:19 AM (8 years ago)
Been there, done that and will no doubt do it again! Alan

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.