Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 14    Views: 326

Summer Weather
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 18, 2011
Newport Beach, ...
12/23/14 04:03 PM (9 years ago)

4 day's trying to figure out Android Maps when iOS took a few hours.

First: I love buzztouch! I've got my first app in iTunes with about 200 downloads and everyone loves it! I have now begun to work on the Android version. However, I'm 4 days into trying to figure out how to get Android to display a map. I get a blank screen with the +/- buttons showing with the word Google in the lower right, but that's it. I just need to hear someone say that it is possible to keep me from giving up. I'm using Eclipse Luna. I've tried with debug keys and release keys. I'm hosting the .apk file on AWS and downloading it on a Sony tablet. All of my other buttons/screens work except for my Youtube and Maps features on my Android device. With iOS, I was done in and had everything figured out in one day. I just deleted Eclipse and everything else and did a reinstall and installed every SDK package in Eclipse. Now I'm getting a memory error... Question #1: Is it currently possible to get maps to work using the Location Map plugin? Question #2: Is Eclipse the current environment I should use, or can I start using Android Studio?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
12/23/14 07:17 PM (9 years ago)
Summary: 1) Yes. 2) Eclipse for the moment, Android Studio later in life. Android is the red headed step child of App Development, lol! It's a pain to do the first time. Heck, it's a pain regardless. But keep at it; it'll work eventually. I think Mark (Go North West) has some videos up on Youtube that might help. Keep in mind that 'simulators' will not show maps. Ever. You'll *have* to use a device. Make sure your properties in your app control panel 'core' page has GPS turned on. Don't bother with the 'debug' key; just go with getting your 'release' key working, so that when it works, you're finished. Ensure that 'debug' mode is OFF in your Android Manifest. Make sure the debug key is specific to the 'fingerprint' of your app. It's a challenge the first time, and tedious the second time. But it can be done. Let us know how it goes, and if you have specific questions, we're happy to give it a shot. Cheers! -- Smug PS: 2 posts in years? Not very chatty, are we? ;)

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/23/14 08:56 PM (9 years ago)
Hello, I agree with everything Smug says. He's a smart dude! Stay away from Android Studio, unless you want to complicate your life about a million fold! The "key" to all this is the Google Maps for Android v2 API key. You need to request that from your Google Developer Console, which is different from your Google Play console. Google it, and you'll find the place. Unfortunately, my video on it is a bit outdated. I'll try to come up with a new one before years end. Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to contact me directly if you need more help! mrkfleming at gmail dot com. Merry Christmas! Mark

Summer Weather
Aspiring developer
Newport Beach, ...
12/24/14 05:35 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks GoNorthWest and Smug, I'm gearing up to give it another go. I've deleted everything and am starting over. (I have a MacBook Pro) Question #1: Does anyone know of a place to get a bundle with Eclipse and everything I need that is proven to work, or am I ok just installing Luna (Eclipse IDE for Java Developers). I've used Juno in the past and successfully created my .apk files and tried Luna yesterday and had errors with memory. Is Juno a better option? if (Question 1 = false) { Question #2: Is there is an Eclipse version I should use that works particularly well, and does anyone have a link to it? Is there a bundle hosted somewhere? } I have the android-sdk_r24.0.2-macosx.zip and android-sdk_r23.0.2-macosx (1).zip files. I will probably install the r23 unless someone suggests otherwise. I also have this file: ADT-23.0.4.zip file to use, but will probably just install with the url link. Cheers & Merry Christmas, Kevin PS: About the 2 posts in years, I found this site back in 2011 and knew I wanted to get involved. Just didn't have the time until now. Looking forward to getting Android working and then hosting Buzztouch on my own AWS account.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
12/24/14 09:52 PM (9 years ago)
Howdy Kevin, So, your Eclipse setup really doesn't have much to do with whether maps works or not. What matters it that you get the API key from Google to allow your app to show maps. That's the key. Have you gotten that yet? The best setup to use is the Eclipse ADT Bundle. It includes everything you need in one zipped package. You'll have to update the included APIs via the Android SDK Manager, but that's not an issue. Unfortunately, when Google release Android Studio, which I very much recommend staying away from, they remove the Eclipse ADT Bundle download. But, I have found some archived here, and verified it works on Mac: http://enos.itcollege.ee/~jpoial/allalaadimised/AndroidSDK/ Once you get this installed...and let me know if you need help...there really is no reason to uninstall. Most issues can be tracked to code or APIs or whatever. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else. I'm more than happy to do a TeamViewer session to get you up and running. Merry Christmas! Mark

Summer Weather
Aspiring developer
Newport Beach, ...
12/24/14 10:42 PM (9 years ago)
deleted double post

Summer Weather
Aspiring developer
Newport Beach, ...
12/24/14 11:07 PM (9 years ago)
deleted double post

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
12/24/14 11:55 PM (9 years ago)
Try to avoid hitting refresh..it just reposts! Mark

Summer Weather
Aspiring developer
Newport Beach, ...
12/26/14 12:59 PM (9 years ago)
Sorry bout the refresh thing. A habit I have while checking the forum from my phone. Here is where I'm at in trying to conceptualize the process of getting the Eclipse Environment ready to convert buzztouch files to .apk files so I can download and test them on my tablet: If this helps anyone, cool. http://bit.ly/1HMEfqv Now I'm off to tackle Google Maps.

Summer Weather
Aspiring developer
Newport Beach, ...
12/26/14 11:58 PM (9 years ago)
I have the map showing on my Android device!!! I just can't seem to get it to zoom in and provide a directions link like it does in the iOS map. I'm done once I figure this out. I'm using the Location Map plugin: http://bit.ly/1Bed85r I see there is a fix for this on 12/1/14. I installed the plugin on 11/25/14. I just downloaded my Android buzztouch file today. Question #1: I'm wondering what I need to do to get the screen to zoom in on my point and not just open to a map of the world. Question #2: Working through how to get a "Directions" solution figured out that will launch a turn by turn directions method for the user.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
12/27/14 06:50 AM (9 years ago)
The location needs to have a json key/value pair for driving. That may or may not be in the update. Read this post: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=927A8FE5673AEAD81FF064B&fid=0B19EC7C02CBDD92F12FD08&sortColumn=FT.id&sortUpDown=DESC&currentPage=1 And if you have questions, yell. Cheers! -- Smug

Summer Weather
Aspiring developer
Newport Beach, ...
01/03/15 08:37 PM (9 years ago)
I ended up creating separate apps in the control panel (one for iOS and one for Android) to handle my map issue. For iOS i used the Location Map plugin and for Android I used the Launch Native app plugin. I'm good with that for now. I just wanted to conclude with a thank you to all that have helped me get this far. I am very thankful. I just finished my second app, and I can't believe how much easier the second one is. I will revisit the issue when I get a little more json experience in a few months.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/03/15 08:46 PM (9 years ago)
Good plan of attack! Sometimes there are too many differences between Android and iOS to use a single control panel. I've done this many times. Rock on! Mark

Annonymous
01/10/15 07:56 AM (9 years ago)
Mighty awesome, Kevin! If you want to meetup over coffee, give me a shout as I am nearby. -- Niraj

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
01/10/15 07:59 AM (9 years ago)
That was me on the coffee meetup :-) -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.