Discussion Forums  >  BT.com Website, Account Questions

Replies: 10    Views: 164

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
02/27/13 05:34 PM (11 years ago)

My New Website - I would like to get feedback before publishing it

So I just decided to screw my old website. Wasn't very good and wasn't very professional. So I have been working on this for 3 weeks now and I would just like to get an opinion before I buy domains and such things. Here is a link to my new website design: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35528309/Test%20Websites/Annandale_IT/index.html If you want to see my other old site, here it is as well: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35528309/Annandale_Apps/index.html So I hope to be releasing this very soon and attracting some business from it. My future plans will also be to add website design to my site, which is why I have left my company name open to any IT work, "Annandale IT". I would love to know what you think and any improvements. I'm a little concerned about the fonts, so if any are in Time New Roman, they shouldn't be, and please report back to me please. I know it will be slow to load, because this is temporary hosting on Dropbox!

jvalley
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 16, 2013
Green Bay,Wi
02/27/13 05:59 PM (11 years ago)
i like it.. I have developed quite a few sites and i prefer to have everything on one view without much scrolling (my preference) sometime smaller looks better to me I think it looks great.. what kind of editor do you use.. I have been using Adobe Muse and i love it..

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
02/27/13 06:19 PM (11 years ago)
Nice web site! Consider making a mobile view for smartphones.

Rohan
Veteran developer
Reg: Mar 12, 2011
London
02/27/13 06:31 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Thomas, just looked at your prototype website and it has potential. Would agree with jvalley that having all your content on one view would probably be better. Guess it a question of fashion and your trying to sell contemporary. Would recommend having a look at some single page templates for apps as a starting point. It's amazing what you can buy nowadays in terms of professionalism. Also not sure about the front page text, specifically ' we have made a couple of apps and are experimenting ' as it sounds a bit woolly and unconvincing. Having met you a couple of times I would recommend that you sell yourself - your abilities are incredible for someone your age, the tech you posses, hosting buzztouch conferences professional apps etc. to me it's the USP ( unique selling point) which differentiates you from the others out there. Don't be afraid to sell yourself. As your business grows you can Evolve the website. Cheers and good luck

Fingers Crossed
Veteran developer
Reg: Jan 16, 2012
Simcoe, ON
02/27/13 07:52 PM (11 years ago)
From a review perspective, the only line I would change is the "We've made a few IOS apps now" This makes you sound like a newbie and new to developing. From what I've seen you're quite capable. I'd reword it along the lines of "We have several published iOS apps..." it just sounds like you've got the experience. Just my 2c worth.

xparte
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 08, 2012
location unknow...
02/27/13 08:13 PM (11 years ago)
Agree with the previous comments on the "We've made a few iOS apps" line. You have a typo in your heading for Portfolio. Also, logo doesn't really fit in with "it". Not sure if it's the bevel look of the logo or the colours used but they don't really fell like they really complement each other.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
02/28/13 12:50 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks for all your feedback. I'm actually integrating a Parallax scrolling system for easier scrolling on the App Development page. Hopefully that should do the trick. I used Dreamweaver and started without templates, it's just my design all along, which makes me kind of reluctant to just buy another template. I agree that the logo isn't great. I wanted to integrate my "Annandale" badge, whilst also saying "IT", but the font messed it up, so I'll just stick to my badge only. Now I read the text, as you have pointed out, some text is a bit dodgy and could be changed to something more convincing. I'll definitely be looking at producing a mobile version. Thanks everyone here. I do appreciate this because I'll get a better site with this, so thanks very much. Can I just ask, when you click on the "Portfolio" page and you click on one of the devices, does the page open as usual with a video on the device? It's my only technological concern.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
02/28/13 12:58 AM (11 years ago)
I made my first site in 1996 and I do have one other site with more than 530,000 visitors since 2005. So, speaking from the Internet marketing side of things, your new site design and content is completely missing the point. As it stands, it is all about you and that's a mistake. The site should all be about your visitors needs and dreams -- and then, how you can help the achieve those. The main and (some say the only) goal of site existence is to take visitors email addresses in exchange for some kind of information kit, such as videos, PDF, membership to a site and so on. Once you have their email address, you know several things: -- they take action when on a site, -- they are uncertain as to how to proceed, but are willing to learn, -- they will read at least one of your emails, and if you are good at it, possibly more. How to make money when you have their addresses? Announce a product or service, introduce scarcity ("available only this week!") and reduce the price to 50% if they pay while the offer lasts. Then send them an email each day while the offer lasts and watch the majority of purchases roll in the end of the offer period. This is the essence and the devil is in the details, as usual. There is much more to be said and done within each of these steps, but the only thing that matters is that you implement it all in at least some manner. Hope this helps!

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 27, 2012
France
02/28/13 02:38 AM (11 years ago)
Hi @Annandale, Well done on your website! I know it takes a lot to make one from scratch. I going to be knit picking the design (rather than content) but it's all for a good cause: - Your logo needs to look just as professional as your apps. I would suggest that you vectorise it if you can. PM me if you need help on this. - Your <title> tag should have should probably say Annandale Apps rather than just home. - On the home page, the padding is inconsistent from one box to the next. The double lines as well. Maybe try justifying the text and removing the border? - on the other pages, the title is against the "IT" at the top (that might be a browser thing). - Love the graphics you used at the bottom of the App development page. - Call to action should be in your face, I suggest highlighting it in some way. - Your demos looks good- wish I could do the same... Love your work and what you do at Buzztouch! Hope my comments help. Farcat

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
02/28/13 03:54 PM (11 years ago)
Hi guys, I've sent out an update of the website from all your recommendations. I have just tinkered around with a few things for now, and over time, the website will definitely develop into better each step. I haven't done anything radical for now, just a few tweaks. So here's what I've done: - Scrapped the logo with 'it'. It's more appropriate now, I hope. - Re-considered some wording on the two screens. - Fixed Portfolio typo - Changed the title <tags> - Added copyright on footer - Easier to navigate through the 'Portfolio' page with clearer links. When the website is released, I will have a second column on the 'Contact' page full of email addresses and phone numbers, but I need to confirm a domain right now. Also with the update coming soon to my site, will be Facebook like buttons on the footer. I may also consider an email subscribe button as well, but I need to see visitors rolling in first. I have decided that even though the 'App Development' page is a bit long, it's still best to keep the content there, because it has to be somewhere. I think content is more important than a slightly better design. It's already a good design. The site should be the original address provided above. I hope you like the looks of it, and please do have a play around with it. If there's anything wrong with it, then please do post, or just any more improvements. As Rohan says, the site can evolve and accommodate for more features. It's only a click of a button away from that. Thanks very much for for your feedback (positive or negative). I can't thank you enough because this is something that will help aid my future business, and having you guys to support me, is fantastic.

jvalley
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 16, 2013
Green Bay,Wi
02/28/13 04:23 PM (11 years ago)
Looks great on my iPhone ... All nice on one page .. Again, very nice

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.