Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 7    Views: 160

Mike the App Guy
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 19, 2011
Birmingham, Ala...
07/28/13 08:47 AM (10 years ago)

Not fully understading design mode vs live mode

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the design mode ve live mode issue. First, is the default when you download the source code of your app Design Mode or Live Mode? In other words, if I download my source code and compile it, and make no changes to design or live mode line, upload and release it, say to iTunes, is it going to be in Design Mode, or Live Mode? Second, what are the best practices for making apps in regards to Design or Live Mode? Is it best to get the source code, and set it to Design Mode, get everything like you want it, and change it to Live Mode? Third, when should you hit PUBLISH within the Buzztouch control panel, and will that only affect an app in Design Mode? How does that work? Last, if you have an app that you submitted to Apple, have live in the App Store, and you want to make changes to it, like if you want to add a plugin, which would require compiling again and submitting an update, what is the best way to do that, through Design Mode vs Live Mode? One other thing, if I build it in Design mode, how can I test it on an actual device?

PSMDanny
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 09, 2011
Heerlen
07/28/13 10:55 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Daniel, The concept is pretty simple: For testing use: design mode For production (appstore) use: live mode So when/if you submit an app to the AppStore make sure you set the bt_config.txt to live mode If you have done this (live mode) you can change/add/delete items in your controlpanel. If you want to view these changes make sure that you have set the bt_config.txt to design mode. If you now build the app you can see all the changes (and your users (who downloaded your app from the appstore) won't see the changes because they are in a different mode (the live mode). If you are happy with the results you can go back to your controlpanel and hit 'publish'. Now everybody who has downloaded your app (read: with status 'live mode') from The AppStore is able to see the changes (if they use the refresh function of the app). To see the changes on your phone, just connect it via usb and build for the iPhone or Android. If you add another plugin to your package and you have to re-submit the app you 'go Live' so the setting would be 'live mode'. Hope this makes sense. Best Regards, Danny

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
07/28/13 11:59 AM (10 years ago)
@PSMDanny Thank you for this explanation, the best I've seen so far on the subject. This ought to find its way into the official documenation somehow!

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 20, 2011
London, UK
07/28/13 12:17 PM (10 years ago)
Its funny, I had issues getting my head around this at first too but it, as Danny has explained, is very simple. I would never submit an app in design mode again, it is an incredibly useful tool.

Mike the App Guy
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 19, 2011
Birmingham, Ala...
07/28/13 12:56 PM (10 years ago)
This is a GREAT explanation!!! The one question I have is, if you do nothing when you download the source code, is it in Design or Live mode?? I agree too, this awesome description could stand to be turned into a doc on the FAQ page.

PSMDanny
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 09, 2011
Heerlen
07/28/13 01:04 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad it made sense. When you download the source check the bt_config.txt in your project. That will give you the answer.....(somewhere on top/beginning of the file). If you have done that answer your own question here on the forum :-) Best regards, Danny

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 20, 2011
London, UK
07/28/13 01:16 PM (10 years ago)
It is in Design mode by default @Daniel

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
07/29/13 02:59 AM (10 years ago)
For best new user experience see the following link: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=C199713BB7DED9311C3C36D

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.