Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 9    Views: 130

SpartaFire446
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 05, 2014
Sparta
09/05/14 11:42 AM (9 years ago)

New to all of this

This is my first time engaging in app building. I am newer than new to all this and to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm not a stupid person but this is so foreign to me that I feel it. I just want to start by creating an app for my fellow firefighters all across the world. Its basic but will include a good amount of information. I have already been through the first set of videos in the University and while it helped some I'm still trying to unravel it all in my brain. So anybody with any good tips or anything that might help me I would appreciate it. Hope to hear from all of you and I hope that I will be around for a long time.

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Wisconsin, USA
09/05/14 01:11 PM (9 years ago)
I will throw my 2 cents in ... From the very beginning with any app I make, I start with ... the old paper and pencil. Purpose / screens / pages / etc. I make my lists of what different pages I am thinking of, then sort them into different categories that could be used. With this, for me, the number of categories determines if I will use a tabbed layout (5 tabs only) or a Home menu driven app (more than 5). Either, 5 tabs (each a menu screen for that category) or one main menu that everything goes off of. Once I have that, I then start making a flow chart of how I want things to be interconnected, between screens/pages. So I end up with a decent idea of how people will move through the screens in the app, the navigation. This is in no way written in stone of course ;-) One wish of mine, would be to have a hierarchy display (flow chart) of the screens, via Buzztouch, in the Control Panel, including nicknames and navigation elements, showing or displaying the links between them. I do not use an semi/fully automated process to make my screens or layouts via plugins, others do, you may or may not want to. I then move over to Buzztouch here and start the general setup. Create the app and upload an icon (I am weird, I flip my icons top-to-bottom and use this when I am developing the app, then replace it with the actual one when I am ready to publish, just for visual awareness). After that I either make the Home Screen Menu or the Tab screen menus (any number of different menu style plugins are available). Once I have the home/tab screen(s) setup, I start adding screens that I would be using, one at a time and making sure it is what I want for that screen. Check the naming of them closely ... screens, menu screen items, navigation bar, etc. I should add that in the beginning, I get a basic setup like this going, then download the source (including ALL the plugins for the platform I am developing the app for) and get eclipse (ok Im Android) all setup with it and runnable in a simulator or devel device. This way I can start with a very basic app to start with, be able to run it and see what it does, and make changes as needed before I add a lot of things and find out it does not work as I wanted it to. Once I have a working starter app for it, I then just go hay wire and add screens, always making sure it still works and looks good in the sim or device. Hope that helps some and we see ya around the forums :-) Kevin

SpartaFire446
Lost but trying
Sparta
09/05/14 01:15 PM (9 years ago)
Kevin I appreciate the time you took to pass on some knowledge to me. It is truly appreciated.

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Wisconsin, USA
09/05/14 01:20 PM (9 years ago)
No problem. Any questions, just ask. I am sure there will be more than 1 person who would offer some helpful words or advice. Great group of people here and it grows daily.

SpartaFire446
Lost but trying
Sparta
09/05/14 01:27 PM (9 years ago)
Thank you again sir. Sorry about the duplicate posts...not sure why that happened

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Reg: Oct 01, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
09/05/14 02:23 PM (9 years ago)
Oh yeah that is worth a mention, make sure you navigate away from the forum thread before refreshing after posting, else it re-submits the same message! Welcome to Buzztouch! One thing worth knowing - it is all well and good making a basic app, but Apple will only allow apps through the approval process if they contain interactive features such as a quiz. The first app I sent in 2011 was just a list with links to webpages using a built-in web browser, and it was rejected for effectively being a website menu. You'll get to grips with it pretty quickly... and becoming a member gives you all the added extras such as the ability to host your own Control Panel! I mostly use my own backend now. If you need help, you can always post in the forums. Someone is always here and willing to help - and no question is a 'stupid' question. If it needs to be asked, it needs to be answered. No matter how stupid you think it is. Also, many How-To's are available in the How-To page at the top of the screen. Many PDFs and Videos are available there. To get started with an iOS app, create it and download the source code. Then, I have created a video in the How-To page about code signing and compiling it... it should be pretty easy when you have the Apple Dev Membership in place etc and understand Provisioning Profiles etc. @CakeBit hosts an informal chat room for buzztouch users where you can drop in and see what everyone is talking about or contribute. Most of the time, I'm in there with well known people on here like Niraj, nadthevlad and many others making plugins. You could learn a lot of the technical side of things just by observing. (http://www.buzztouch.me/chat) Have fun. I hope you find your way around pretty easily, good luck and I hope to see you around the forums! Thanks -- Ed

Becky
I hate code!
Reg: Aug 08, 2012
NYC
09/05/14 02:25 PM (9 years ago)
SpartaFire - It's probably because you hit the back button :) Thanks Kevin, I find it interesting to read other's process. I always want to start with the pen and paper but due to a bit of impatience on my part, I end up throwing myself right into the control panel. Lord knows I could use some initial thumbnails sometimes :)

SpartaFire446
Lost but trying
Sparta
09/05/14 02:51 PM (9 years ago)
Ed thank you for taking the time man that is a lot of good info! Becky, it was exactly what I did!! I also understand where you are coming from with the impatience! Here's hoping with everyone's support and a little support from myself I'll get this thing rolling!

Becky
I hate code!
Reg: Aug 08, 2012
NYC
09/05/14 02:56 PM (9 years ago)
If it seems overwhelming, that feeling won't last for too long. I don't know a single bit of code but have around 30 apps in iTunes. Basically, if I can do it - anyone can. That's how I see it. Plus, everyone here is super helpful. You will get up and running in no time. Welcome:)

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
09/07/14 07:16 AM (9 years ago)
To add onto KevinPerry's advice, give this a reading or two. I like the blueprint approach: http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=47D35231F571EE9A1AB0660 Welcome to BuzzTouch !!! -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.