Discussion Forums  >  BT.com Website, Account Questions

Replies: 9    Views: 105

rj
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 06, 2012
Chicago, IL
12/06/12 07:29 AM (11 years ago)

Stuck 2 min in ...

Trying to understand this system, I thought I'd try the tutorials. I watched the first video tried to go to the second and it won't let me. Then I watched it again, took the quiz (did bad, lots of questions asked were not covered in the first video) but it still won't let me see the 2nd video. 5 min in I give this site 1/2 star out of 5, although with 5000+ comments on the forum it seems like most of you have figured this out, so maybe there is hope. using firefox 16.0.2 on win 7. Thanks rj

rj
I hate code!
Chicago, IL
12/06/12 08:09 AM (11 years ago)
Works in chrome ... solved although would be nice if the tutorial system would allow you to play any video and make testing optional.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
12/06/12 08:20 AM (11 years ago)
Welcome Winger. Building apps is def more involved than jumping in the EM50 and driving it across the border. For sure gotta study some quides and take baby steps. The BTU concept is that you have to pass the tests before you take the next track. SGT David Hulka is a good trainner. Almost everyone here started at square one so the fact we're all still here and learning should give you hope it can be done! What are you developing for iOS/Android? and did you know that they originally wanted that to be Cheech and Chong instead of Murray/Ramis? Could you imagine that....?

rj
I hate code!
Chicago, IL
12/06/12 08:35 AM (11 years ago)
Not sure at this time if I will do an ios or android. I have committed to a win8 app and was wondering if it could spill out into these other platforms. I suppose I'd pick android first as I like free (ad supported apps). Not sure anyone would pay for the stuff I make. Wondering if I even need an app program or if our win8 app's html5 code will just work on ios and android. Be cool to have one platform that works on everything. GO ND! Thanks for the stripes tidbits. I do know Ramis lives behind my friends house. ... hay man this is Dave ... Dave's not here!

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Chicago
12/06/12 09:11 AM (11 years ago)
awesome, sounds like we could hang. I'm a Big NU Cats fan as well. Dave is definately hanging out at my place a lot ;) BT is def for developing native Android and iOS stuff. This is real source code you get with the ability to extend it AND have a backend Control panel to manipulate the JSON you can use in your app. a lot to lean, but go slow and you'll get it. The only App Builder that builds them all in one shot is PHONEGAP. Phonegap is pretty awesome, but it's not gonna code/build true native ios/Androind apps that you can integrate SDK's into. BT is really the best of all worlds - once you spend more time learning and using other app building stuff you'll understand that better. If you want to go the Phonegap route, here's an awesome tutorial I just completed after meeting Christophe at a recent event @1871. <a href="http://coenraets.org/blog/2012/11/new-tutorial-developing-and-architecting-a-phonegap-application/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://coenraets.org/blog/2012/11/new-tutorial-developing-and-architecting-a-phonegap-application/</a>

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
Reg: May 30, 2011
UK
12/06/12 09:35 AM (11 years ago)
Phonegap + Buzztouch - the best of both worlds! I dabble with phonegap, it's easy to just drop phonegap projects with no native functions into the buzztouch framework, into the assets folder and open with a customURL.

rj
I hate code!
Chicago, IL
12/06/12 10:22 AM (11 years ago)
phonegap looks great but not sure I trust Adobe for an open standard, what's the relationship with Adobe. Do I have to use an Adobe product like flash or another buggy library. I do use Dreamweaver but generally just tweak code in a text editor. If I can't read the code I tend to avoid it! Right now I'm just looking for something simple. Once I get my feet wet on mobile I might dive in although I try to avoid coding whenever possible ... let those who do it ... do it well! Thanks for the link. Christophe's tutorial example makes it look quite easy.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Chicago
12/06/12 10:25 AM (11 years ago)
really? I can drop Phonegap code right into BT projects. That's MONEY. I had not even considered or explored the thought... Still a Phonegap newbie, but I do like it A LOT. Thanks for the tip and the method :) Phonegap has much easier methods to interact with other API's. Building a phonegap menu was my biggest upcoming fear. Pointing to a Phonegap project from a Custom URL in BT = NO MORE FEARS. Thanks!!

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
Reg: May 30, 2011
UK
12/06/12 07:30 PM (11 years ago)
Hey @rj, hello! Got my doubts too, adobe bought phonegap(cordova? whatever) out a while ago and so far they seem to want it to be their contribution to open source, but who knows? There are quite a lot of third party companies that offer additional paid services, perhaps they're happy to have some sort of cut of that?

rj
I hate code!
Chicago, IL
12/06/12 08:49 PM (11 years ago)
thanks!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.