Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 9    Views: 102

mobi
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 23, 2014
NY
04/07/14 03:00 AM (10 years ago)

Few questions about Interactive Quizz

Tried finding answers but still a bit unsure. Can someone maybe answer a few of these for me? Im using this plugin here: https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=3C10D2D5784B9D981C3F307 for android. 1)-I am doing a quizz that is about 100 questions. Some text, some images. DO both size images go in the "drawable" folder or do the larger ones go in one of the other drawable folders? 2)-From what I see it doesnt save users high score correct? If so is there a way to do this? Thanks for the help

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
04/07/14 03:27 AM (10 years ago)
Hello @mobi I just built an app using this plugin. I don't really have the answers you are after, but I thought I'd share a couple of experiences I noticed along the way. I didn't do anything on high scores, so cant help there. I replaced the quiz standard header, right and wrong images. On IOS, these images go in the same directory as the plugin, which is unusual. For Android, everything lives in res/drawables, I didn't find I needed the other drawable folders. That seems to be OK for most scenario's. One thing I did that you didn't touch on is that instead of keeping all my quiz questions and answers in the control panel areas. I found it a lot easier to keep my quiz data as a json txt file and store that in my BT Files area and link to that. Hope it helps, Alan

mobi
Aspiring developer
NY
04/07/14 04:02 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Allen, Ill keep all the images in the one folder then. Wasnt fully sure. I did read about what you mentioned with the json file instead of the control panel but I still dont fully grasp it yet. The more im thinking about it, I suppose the high score isnt that big of a deal, ill send them maybe just to a certain screen if the get it all correct. Thanks

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
04/07/14 04:45 AM (10 years ago)
No probs @mobi I use the remote data file for the quiz as it made maintenance of the questions and answers much much easier. I'd encourage you to try, as it is well worth working it out. The info with the plugin helps. I started by copying the json data with existing questions and answers from the config.txt file and saved the relevant portion as a txt file. I put that text file in my control panel files area and I took that url and entered it into the quiz. This gets you a lot of the concepts behind how it works. Once I had that working, adding new questions or editing existing questions becomes easy.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/07/14 05:28 AM (10 years ago)
I can sort of answer '1' question… You'll need to look at the 'image' question as a two parter… Images are dealt with differently than in iOS. When they talk about 'large' and 'small' image size, they're talking about the devices you'll be displaying them on; either a phone (small) or a tablet (big). Now, that's part 1. Part 2 is the different resolutions available on those devices. By default, BT includes directories for ldpi (low density of pixels per inch) mdpi (medium density of pixels per inch) hdpi (high density of pixels per inch) xhdpi (extra high density of pixels per inch) in iOS, images have slightly different names, depending on the device or pixel density (i.e. myImage.png, myImage @ 2x.png, etc…) In android, all images regardless of pixel density, have the same filename. The difference is, each image resides in it's own directory for that resolution. so 'in theory' if you were going to make images for each Android device and size that you can accomodate, you would need 10 images. 5 for small devices, 5 for large devices. Of those 5 for each size device, you would have your images (myImageBig.png, myImageSmall.png) available for res/drawable res/drawable-hdpi res/drawable-ldpi res/drawable-mdpi res/drawable-xhdpi res/drawable is the 'default' directory. Each type of device will 'look' in the specific directory for it's density type, and if an image is available, it will use it. If it is not available, it will look in res/drawable. If you only put images in one place, 'res/drawable' is that place. Cheers! -- Smug

mobi
Aspiring developer
NY
04/07/14 07:38 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Alan. Ill give it a shot and play around with it. The whole image thing is starting to set in now Smug. The "So 'in theory'" part cleared it up a bit more. -Off to have some hands on trial and error, thanks guys

mobi
Aspiring developer
NY
04/07/14 10:07 AM (10 years ago)
On the Quiz Screen, im trying to add a finished screen. Anything I do in the "Quiz Scoring, Finish Options", when clicked on save it says: {"result":"error", "errors":"nickname already in use, no duplicates allowed"} I read one thing to try was delete the screen and make a new one, and that did work, but I cant get enough information entered before it happens again. Any ideas? Also, if any have added a Finished screen, what type of screen did you use? I was thinking about the blank screen with just a background saying try again if the highest possible score wasnt achieved. Trying to get some ideas.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
04/07/14 10:41 AM (10 years ago)
Hi @mobi, on the error, this is some kind of underlying control panel / system bug that pops up when you least expect it. It can happen on any screen, any plugin I believe. To work around this, I give it a new nickname, try save again and you are sorted. Always works for me.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
04/07/14 11:44 PM (10 years ago)
Excellent explanation on images for Android by Smug! Saved that tip and sent it along to a few of my iOS buddies who will soon be venturing into the Android zone. -- Niraj

mobi
Aspiring developer
NY
04/08/14 12:43 AM (10 years ago)
All the information and help has been a huge help. Thanks. I actually getting excited as it all is falling into place and working. Im stuck with this part now. In the section that says: Quiz Scoring, Finish Options There is a finished screen and a reward screen. I have the screens in place and working the way I want with one exception. At the end of the game you either have to tap on "show reward" or "continue" to get to those screens. Is there a way to bypass that step so at the end of the quiz it goes directly to them? Meaning remove the menu that appears at quiz end and have it go directly to the reward screen or continue screen I set?

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.