Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 5    Views: 209

phantompower
Lost but trying
Reg: Apr 02, 2013
manchester
07/11/14 05:12 AM (9 years ago)

Newbie wants to build

Hi everyone. I'm still new to app building but have expereince in web development. I've completed a couple of very simple of Xcode tutorials but am now seriously looking to build an app that looks and plays like a traditional board game - roll a dice, move piece along board etc. If anyone could give me any pointers on where to start, it would be much appreciated. Thank you

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
07/11/14 07:24 AM (9 years ago)
I'd first have a look at other apps that already do what you want. Maybe you can find how they did it, which tools did they use and so on? Equally important, is there some kind of monetization going on in those apps? Could you use that too? I would also roam through github and see whether there is some source code already published that does what you want? If there is (and chances are good that there will be) there are two ways to use it: -- if you are programmer, use that to start -- if you are not a programmer, give the source code to the programmer and say "I want something like this, can you do it?"

phantompower
Lost but trying
manchester
07/11/14 07:41 AM (9 years ago)
Excellent. Didn't think of github for source. I've some experience in php and c++ so will try to start with source. This app will be aimed at primary school children and monetisation won't be going on. Thank you

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
07/12/14 08:17 AM (9 years ago)
Check out this nicely compiled list of games for iOS that are available on GitHub https://github.com/leereilly/games/blob/master/README.md -- Niraj

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
07/12/14 08:20 AM (9 years ago)
By the way, I asked Google "GitHub iOS game" very politely to show me some possibilities. We hit the mother lode on the first search result! :-) -- Niraj

phantompower
Lost but trying
manchester
07/13/14 11:16 AM (9 years ago)
That's excellent, thank you Niraj.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.