Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 3    Views: 174

MichM
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 08, 2015
California
02/13/15 12:46 AM (9 years ago)

Question about self hosted CP for my first client.

Hello, I am completely new here and I originally planned to use Buzztouch to make my own apps for fun & hopefully profit. I wasn't planning to work with clients, but after telling my sister that I was going to make some apps, asked me if I can make an app for her work (she is a director for a private high school that we both attended). So I have three questions: 1. If I setup the self hosted CP on my server, can I give them a login where they will ONLY see their app? 2. Can I install the self hosted CP on their website server to control their own app and then I still have my own self hosted CP on my server? 3. How resource intensive is the self hosted CP? Is a good shared hosting account enough? Thank you so much in advance!!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/13/15 04:13 AM (9 years ago)
I'll welcome you to Buzztouch while I'm here, although I already saw (but haven't replied to) your other post. Welcome! I think you're going to like it here. To answer your questions... 1) Of course. That's no problem. And you as an administrator, have 'carte blanche' access to all apps. But if 'joe' has an app, 'bob' will not be able to see it. 2) It doesn't quite work that way. Think of it more like blog software or a CMS, similar to wordpress or joomla. They 'can' have their own self hosted server, but they'll need a membership as well. 3) Not that resource intensive at all, really. If you've worked with Joomla, Wordpress, or any other 'LAMP/WAMP' software (Linux/MySQL/PHP or Windows/MySQL/PHP) then it's just more of the same, resource wise. People have dozens of apps consisting of thousands of screens and they do this off of a commercial shared hosting (hostgator, network solutions, godaddy) server with no problems. Don't be shy with questions, and be sure to check out the Buzztouch University videos, and the 'How To' documentation. Also check out BT guru/member 'GoNorthWest's Youtube channel for great installation videos for Eclipse on several different platforms; one of them is bound to fit you. http://www.youtube.com/user/gonorthwest Cheers! -- Smug

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/13/15 04:21 AM (9 years ago)
One last thing; when you become a member, and you can have unlimited apps in your control panel, then your users can have unlimited apps in *your* control panel, just give them a login. Any plugins you buy or write will be made available to your users. This adds value to self hosting. In fact, a few members make a sideline out of hosting for lessor experienced Buzztouchers. Food for thought. Cheers! -- Smug

MichM
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 08, 2015
California
02/19/15 05:13 PM (9 years ago)
Thank you for the great info!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.