Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 20    Views: 89

John Scotland
Android Fan
Reg: May 25, 2014
Scotland
05/25/14 02:34 AM (9 years ago)

Hi folks, new to buzz, interested in building apps and this seemed to be one of the better ways to do this. Would anyone recommend buying the membership? Anyone new to this had any recent success using this software?

rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 12, 2014
Bilston - Engla...
05/25/14 03:02 AM (9 years ago)
Hi there and welcome. I registered only a week or so ago and very soon paid up for full membership. Excellent forums / assistance and plugins to help you with most projects. Easy enough to use once you get the hang of it! I have an app waiting to submit (waiting for my google merchant account to complete so I can publish it) - so yes, all good :)

John Scotland
Android Fan
Scotland
05/25/14 03:15 AM (9 years ago)
That's good thanks, Yeh there seems alot to learn however rewarding. There's loads of app platforms online but seem restrictive and geared towards business users mostly. Is it possible to build games with buzz or just apps?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/25/14 03:27 AM (9 years ago)
To me, games 'are' apps... just single task, usually. Keep in mind Buzztouch 'is' native code, whether iOS or Android... and anything is possible. If you're an experienced programmer in either Java or ObjC (or both) the only real difference is a LOT of miscellaneous tasks and housekeeping is done for you, but the code is open wide to modification. For the folks who aren't programmers, you can just assemble your content with a variety of plugins, and with a small exception of having to learn to compile code and chase down rudimentary errors, things are kept fairly high level. No real programming experience is necessary. Just an open mind and a tenacious attitude is really all it takes. Just take it one step at a time while getting familiar, and stop by the forums if something isn't working the way you thought it should... Cheers! -- Smug

John Scotland
Android Fan
Scotland
05/25/14 03:36 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks Smug :-D

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
05/25/14 06:18 AM (9 years ago)
Welcome John! Don't hesitate to post any questions if you encounter any! LA

John Scotland
Android Fan
Scotland
05/25/14 06:30 AM (9 years ago)
Thank you LA, just hope I can properly get to grips with the website to start making ideas a reality!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
05/25/14 07:06 AM (9 years ago)
Hi John, Welcome to the community. Buzztouch is great for two main reasons: powerful platform in which to build an app from, and a fantastic community. Regarding membership, I'd recommend that you try out Buzztouch as a guest first. Use it and try out its features. If you feel inclined to splash out on a membership, go ahead. You'll notice most 'active' users have membership, but you are in no way forced to. I couldn't help noticing your location. Tomorrow I'm heading up to Edinburgh for the week. If you're in that part of Scotland, fancy a coffee?

John Scotland
Android Fan
Scotland
05/25/14 07:24 AM (9 years ago)
Thank you. Yes im surprised at how informative and how much information is available without a subscription whilst the community forum, so far has been very friendly. Im exploring the site and watching the tutorial videos at present before I commit to anything however, im impressed so far. Yes I work in Edinburgh actually, a coffee would be fine. What brings you here?

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
05/25/14 07:37 AM (9 years ago)
I'm funnily enough building an Edinburgh tourist app. I go to Edinburgh at least three times a year, and when au was last there I thought it'd be good to make an app for Edinburgh, since there isn't really an good app currently in the App Store. I love Edinburgh myself. Give me a message by tapping my icon and I'm sure we can get something sorted!

kingelessar
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 10, 2014
UK
05/25/14 08:56 AM (9 years ago)
Hi John, I'd say Buzztouch is unlike any other platform in that it gives you the source code to do with as you wish. It's also very customizable and nothing like some of the other app makers out there. But be also prepared that NOTHING will work out of the box. Especially on the Android side. I've been finding the learning very interesting and rewarding but boy does it take time! And without the more experienced members who are giving there time willingly and freely here on the forum and in other ways, I would have had to give up a long time ago.

John Scotland
Android Fan
Scotland
05/25/14 09:31 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks King. Im fining that out now haha I’ve downloaded eclipse and installed onto my machine however, it's completely different from the online tutorials? I know there may be different versions and the program is customizable. I’m sure I've installed the correct version. Also I can’t get sdk to work within the eclipse environment although I can run it separately. I noticed in the videos, there is a Mac icon so this may be where I’m going wrong as I’m on windows. What to do...

kingelessar
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 10, 2014
UK
05/25/14 09:54 AM (9 years ago)
John, It takes time to get your head round it, not always because of Buzztouch. Sometimes it's just Android. Like the SDK and Eclipse. Documentation provided by BT or its members is often not up-to-date, which adds to the fun. But once you have got all your developer environment set up, it's a lot more fun. And you WILL get there. :) It just takes a lot of time. Enjoy Oliver

John Scotland
Android Fan
Scotland
05/25/14 09:59 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks Oliver, got all you guys to encourage me! :-)

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
05/25/14 06:21 PM (9 years ago)
Scotland!!!! Edinburgh do football like they do trams these days. Welcome to BT my good man. Fellow Scot here, most of my family are in Edinburgh. We have a few Scots on here, some vocal some lurking. Welcome aboard. Please don't ever hesitate to shout if you need anything. See you in Edinburgh at New Year.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
05/25/14 07:10 PM (9 years ago)
@MacApple... Don't even start on the trams. Although I do not live in Edinburgh, I can see the the massive unconvinced of closing Princes Street for a year... TWICE! On the plus side, it's opening next week! Are you coming over to the UK (or what might be just Scotland) at New Year? I owe you a lot... could a biscuit and a mars bar do the trick?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
05/25/14 09:24 PM (9 years ago)
Hi John, Welcome to Buzztouch! From my perspective, the membership is hugely worth the cost. And the support you get in the forum is absolutely second to none! Don't hesitate to give us a shout when you need some help. Mark

John Scotland
Android Fan
Scotland
05/26/14 12:53 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks for all the posts people- and a fellow Scot! Even better haha cheers Macapple. Yes the trams are currently being 'tested' right now. In other words they are doing there routes with nobody on them hence, they are holding up traffic as they cross major roads, I know as I drive there everyday. Seems everyone is fed up however, they do start end of the month alas! Maybe a mars bar supper Thomas? haha :)

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 27, 2012
France
05/28/14 01:46 PM (9 years ago)
Welcome John! I joined over two years ago and I will re-sign for many years to come. My apps have repaid my subscription fee many many times over, so for me it's a no-brainer. :) Plus you get discounts on the plugins. Good luck Farcat

John Scotland
Android Fan
Scotland
05/29/14 07:25 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks farcat. Would you suggest apple or Android to begin with? I know apple is easier however, I don't have a mac pc nor have I used one before. I have an android phone

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 27, 2012
France
05/30/14 12:29 AM (9 years ago)
Based on my own experience I would suggest starting on Apple. Macs are easy to use so it's not an issue, you can buy a refurbished one fairly cheap these days too. You would also need an apple device to test on though. I say Apple because it is much easier in my view. That's where I started then moved on to Android which I found difficult. I guess it depends why you want to build apps, if it is for a client it is very likely that they will want an Apple app. That's what I am asked to develop anyway. The other thing is that there are a lot more plugins to play with with Apple. Hope it helps. Farcat

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.