SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
07/25/13 06:23 PM (10 years ago)

Informal Survey: Online/Offline vs Cellular Data costs...?

I'm curious. I live on the island of Guam. We have 4 cellular providers, and all of them charge for a Data Connection with your phone. They also have an 'All you can eat' plan for a higher cost, but that only comprises of a small percentage of the island. Subsequently, most of my apps I try to design for 'offline' use so as not to use the data connection. In your area what is the norm? Is data included in most plans? How do you balance your 'online/offline' capabilities? Any thoughts? Cheers! -- Smug

TatorTot
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 25, 2013
Iowa
07/25/13 06:37 PM (10 years ago)
Here data is included. I guess in a way I am lucky, I have unlimited data from verizon because I have yet to buy a discount phone so I am still "grandfathered" in. I am not lucky because since I have moved the service is terrible lol.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
07/25/13 06:41 PM (10 years ago)
Yep - in the States data is pretty much a norm.

Jake Chasan
Veteran developer
Reg: May 13, 2011
location unknow...
07/25/13 08:45 PM (10 years ago)
I life in California. I think with a smart phone ATT and Version make you buy at least 300MB of data a month. I also try to make my apps offline. If a user has an iPod or iPad (no cellular) then they can not view your app. Jake

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
07/26/13 01:35 AM (10 years ago)
I just try to keep data minimal, just so it loads faster. And if they are in a cellular data black spot, most functions work. Although my apps are all map based apps, and for the maps data, you'll need a bit of Internet connection. But all my images are now offline, because there is nothing more ugly than grey question marks everywhere. I look forward to when I can work on an app that isn't map-based. It gets a little repetitive.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.