aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 22, 2011
location unknow...
03/02/14 11:04 AM (10 years ago)

Sharing 2.0 self hosted/ iOS app: on friend's phone

Hey ya- What have you found to be the easiest way to share your app (not in the App Store) with a friend or colleague? I've put together a project for 4 people on my team; my plan is to use their phones and compile it through Xcode, on my computer. (I believe I might encounter some provisioning profile hurdles, but I will deal with them as they come). Does anyone know of a more efficient workflow to do this? Thanks as always!

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
03/02/14 11:41 AM (10 years ago)
Testflight used to be fairly easy... although it seems to have gotten a little more complex since I last used it. If you have all of your friends UDID numbers for their devices, just add them to your list of authorized devices in your developer account (your team profiles), and build the ad-hoc IPA file in Xcode. Then just email it to them, or load it directly on their device if you like. Also note, all those apps that used to tell you your UDID of the device no longer work. It prefixes them all with "FFFFFF", which apple will not recognize as a real UDID. You'll have to have them go into settings and get it manually. I discovered that a few weeks ago when beta testing the new iGallery app. used one of those UDID fetchers, and they called me out on it, lol. Had to go get it the old fashioned way. Or you can go to whatsmyudid.com on your device and get it that way. If you don't use it for evil purposes.... there's also this nifty little tool: https://github.com/maciekish/iReSign I've successfully used it. It lets you resign a packaged IPA file, so if your friends have dev accounts, they can take your IPA file, re-sign it with their own provisioning profiles, and run it on their device. Looks like it could be used by the dark side for certain things... but it worked for my legit purpose when I needed it to. The key was to leave the entitlements.plist path blank on iresign. I also generated its own dedicated provisioning profile in my iTunes connect portal, instead of using my standard wildcard profile. After doing those two things, the app I resigned installed with iTunes perfectly.

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 22, 2011
location unknow...
03/02/14 11:59 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks for the insight - this is very helpful. That's so wild that the UDID apps no longer work - who knew?! I'll have to make my way to github & check out that tool as well- Cheers !

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
03/03/14 08:16 AM (10 years ago)
I too use iResign for non-nefarious purposes. Can't work without it. -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.