Discussion Forums  >  Audio, Video, Playing, Recording

Replies: 3    Views: 169

bioninja
Lost but trying
Reg: Jul 08, 2012
Melbourne
05/31/13 07:18 AM (10 years ago)

Android and mp4 files

I have made an app which works perfectly on iPhones. Am having one problem with my Android version: I have a bunch of videos that i link to with a custom URL. These videos are mp4 files. They work on the website where they are hosted. They work on the iPhone. But they do not work on the Android. The custom url does load, but the video will not play. Not on the emulator or on any android devices that have tried it. I've been told that Android does play mp4 so I am not sure what the problem is. I can't make a youtube channel for these videos and use the playlist plugin because of permission issues. I can save these videos as a different format but I'm not sure what format would work. Does anyone know what is causing the problem or have a solution?

Rishav
Code is Art
Reg: Jan 26, 2012
Dubai
05/31/13 07:30 AM (10 years ago)
As far as i know android doesn't support video playback in webview. To play a video you need to use VideoView or to make your task easy you can use AT53 Video Player plugin which works great on android.

bioninja
Lost but trying
Reg: Jul 08, 2012
Melbourne
05/31/13 04:27 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks Rishav. That might explain the issue I've been having. I am not very tech savvy, so can someone please explain how the AT53 video player plugin works? The reason I am using custom URLs is because I do not want the video files as part of my app (would increase its size too much). Will the plugin let me play custom URL videos on android or will it require me to load the videos onto the app?

Rishav
Code is Art
Reg: Jan 26, 2012
Dubai
05/31/13 09:18 PM (10 years ago)
Yes the plugin will allow you to play videos directly from url though you can even load the videos on phone and play it from there.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.