Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 7    Views: 146

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
01/18/14 09:12 AM (10 years ago)

BT30 - Day 14 - Highlighting 5 awesome programs

BT30 is my personal project to contribute to buzztouch: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?fid=2348BA49BA5737C92E3D9B5&tid=2348BA49BA5737C92E3D9B5 Day 14 - Highlighting 5 awesome programs ------------ DESCRIPTION ------------ I wanted to highlight a few programs that I use for clients/myself that you may or may not know about. I know I left many out but I only have so much time to write, lol! NOTE: most of them are windows, if not all, I only use my Mac for XCODE and ECLIPSE - everything else, even code, is done on my windows. I keep my MAC environment very fast this way as a dedicated developer machine only. #1. Microsoft Office I know, you're probably wondering why this is my top choice. The best way to serve clients, stay organized, and be on time, is to use Excel (in my opinion). I use excel sheets for everything in my life, from my clients, to my apps, to my grocery list and wedding. Example 1a: Make an excel sheet with the name of your app, version, link to itunes, link to google, if it has good reviews or not, what frameworks does it have, and "notes" that you want added for personal use. Soon you will grow this list and keep your apps organized easily. Example 1b. Using excel to keep your finances set, you can use special codes to make excel calculate all for you like "SUM=(A1:A5)". Keep track of plugin sales, app sales, ad revenue, losses (expenses) and gains (profit). So, so, so useful. I have Excel sheets for buzzday, bt30, like I said everything, and I will be the most organized person you will ever meet, and because of that, I find good success. You will too! I never forget what update has been requested, what email to reply too, what plugin needs updated, what app feature needs added or what I need with me when I go to Costco and leave with more then I needed, lol! Enough of that. #2. PhotoFiltre Studio X http://www.photofiltre-studio.com A lightweight image editor like Photoshop, only easier to use, small in size, faster, and cheaper. Free version is also allowed. I like it because I am able to do the things I need to for app icons, header images, and graphics, like photoshop, but without the need of photoshops slow loading (of features I don't use) or price. I highly recommend to check it out. #3. Dropbox http://dropbox.com You probably have heard of this, but I want to recommend it anyways, an AWESOME tool not only for moving files back and forth from computers to computers or from devices to computers, but also an awesome "universal" folder that you can use to keep files in that you constantly access from your windows AND mac machine like I do. Shared folders feature (if you don't know about that, look it up!) is also a super feature to use when working with clients and you want to give them the latest by dragging in graphics, updates, documents and more. #4. Advanced Find and Replace 4 http://www.abacre.com/afr/ This program has saved me more time than any program has ever done - it's simple, give it a location, tell it what text, paragraph, whatever, to find, and replace it with the given data. It will go through the entire folder you give it to and replace all of it within seconds. Sav you have a bunch of html files in a folder, and you want to bold the title, but there are hundreds of files to open and type bold codes in - no problem. #5. Instant Eyedropper (windows) http://instant-eyedropper.com/ This program has been usefull for me many times. If I ever need an exact color code (#FFFFFF), this lightweight program will find that color for you on screen by just moving and dragging cursor onto it - super cool!. #6 Light Image Resizer 4 http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/ Same thing as #5, but for images! This guy will convert all images in a certain folder to specified format or size (.png, 500x500). Saves a tremendous amount of time! These are other programs, just as cool, but too much to type, here you go: - FileZilla - TeamViewer 9 - Chrome - Notepad++ - 7zip - Pandora One - CCleaner - Filehippo Update Checker - Sticky Notes (Windows 8) Hope this helps someone! David

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
01/18/14 11:31 AM (10 years ago)
Great resources! Thank you for all of your "personal project to contribute to buzztouch:" post! It is appreciated!!!! LA

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
01/18/14 05:01 PM (10 years ago)
I can only add to the list. I would say iWork is something certainly worth getting. It's essentially the same as Microsoft Office, but it's free! It also has iCloud integration so whatever you save on your mac is synced to your iPhone or iPad, which I find very handy. However, it requires a Mac. You can also use the free iCloud.com site to have access to these documents at any time, even from a PC. Cool! But it has the same functions as Microsoft Office, so this is just an alternative. Each of the scenarios are the same. I use Numbers constantly for keeping app downloads up to date!

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
01/18/14 06:28 PM (10 years ago)
Cool thanks! Kingsoft office works well too which is also for mobile devices.also you can sign up for microsoft dreamspark program to get all of their products free.some colleges offer i.t. students dreamspark program also!

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Reg: Nov 05, 2011
Rhode Island
01/18/14 08:48 PM (10 years ago)
A few more awesome applications that will save your life ;) Jing (photo/video capture tool that you can set a hotkey on your keyboard to use to take instant pictures/videos to share with clients..even has the basic editing abilities like circling, highlighting, or entering in text..save the image to your machine or creat a share link to forward to someone instantly. -Inkscape - free program for creating vector art. A very powerful, but much simpler tool than photoshop -Pochade ($10 on mac store) a color picker tool that gives you the hex and rgb color code. use it on ANYTHING that you have displayed on your mac. You can set up a hot key to trigger the color picker without having to launch the program and you copy the color code to your clipboard.

Arubaman
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Akron
01/18/14 08:55 PM (10 years ago)
Some good stuff, thanks.

hasher13
Android Fan
Reg: Jul 21, 2012
Wethersfield
01/19/14 08:47 AM (10 years ago)
Awesome stuff, I already downloaded eyedropper and image resizer. Thanks for the info! howard

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
01/30/14 03:40 PM (10 years ago)
@WaYsTiiD TIME great share. Thanks buddy. David

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.