Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 6    Views: 194

AppGuy30
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 29, 2011
location unknow...
04/03/15 07:17 AM (9 years ago)

How to backup self hosted?

Is there anyway to backup the self hosted? The more apps I create on it the more annexes I get about this? How do you guys backup your self hosted server?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/03/15 07:32 AM (9 years ago)
I currently host with Network Solutions, and am making the migration to Hostgator. Both of these hosting companies have backup solutions available to customers, and I avail myself to those. That said, you can do it yourself if you want to... You just have to 'assemble it' yourself. The main files you want to ensure that are protected/backed up are: 1) config.php - this is the main config file for your self hosted setup. Uber important. 2) <host root>/files/applications - this holds the actual physical 'data' for your app. Each app is in a directory named after the app UUID, so it might look weird at first glance. 3) SQL Database - available via phpMyAdmin or other 'sql control panel' this is the heart of your installation. The 'rest' of it can be replaced by a reinstall if need be, plugins can be re-installed, but *those* files contain valuable information that is difficult to recreate by hand. Hope this helps. Cheers! -- Smug

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 04, 2011
Fredericksburg,...
04/03/15 12:43 PM (9 years ago)
If you're using a hosting account with CPanel, you can use the backup feature built into the CPanel control panel. You'll find options for backing up the "site", which includes mostly your web directory (file structure). But don't forget to do a MySQL backup also for your tables. Most web hosts proclaim that they have Daily and Weekly backups, but I would never rely on them.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
04/03/15 12:44 PM (9 years ago)
I use FileZilla to download the folder in which the BT server resides. That takes care of the source code. Then backup the data, which you will find in a database, through phpMyAdmin or a similar tool. If on cPanel, i.e. on HostGator, use the Backup icon to either backup the entire site (a valid idea too, BTW) or with the same tool backup only the database for the BT server. From the BT server, if you use the Admin option, you can use the option Show Database Info to see which tables do what in the BT database. When in phpMyAdmin, you can also Export the database, which will give you an ASCII representation of the database. That may server as a backup, since you can Import it back to the server, with changes or without.

Calypso Kid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 09, 2012
Upstate New Yor...
04/03/15 02:42 PM (9 years ago)
I'm using Hostgator and just do a full back up through CPanel and store it on a local drive and a cloud drive for extra security in case my local drive goes bad Dave

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/03/15 06:19 PM (9 years ago)
Oh, and although I haven't tried it, I've been reminded that I keep a copy of Mr. Davids 'BuzzBackup' script on my server in the BT Mods section. http://www.smugwimp.com/btMods/ look for 'buzzbackup.zip'. Cheers! -- Smug

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
04/03/15 06:21 PM (9 years ago)
Had a server wiped out once with only a 6 month old backup. I'm usually good as well. Back it up.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.