Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 7    Views: 81

mosesf
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 17, 2012
San Antonio
11/16/12 02:45 PM (11 years ago)

Amazon EC2 with Buzztouch

I was setting up the email service for the self-hosted Buzztouch control panel, and when completing step No. 5 (sudo vi /etc/mail/auth/client-info), the file, client-info didn't exist, hence there wasn't a file to enter the parameters to complete the next step.

ALFREA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 24, 2011
San Antonio, TX
11/16/12 05:56 PM (11 years ago)
"Client-info" didn't exist in the Amazon EC2 files? ....so you cannot complete the next step?

mosesf
Aspiring developer
San Antonio
11/19/12 03:03 PM (11 years ago)
Yup. That is correct.

ALFREA
Aspiring developer
San Antonio, TX
11/19/12 05:42 PM (11 years ago)
I just e-mailed kmassey at crossingsokc.com for help. I found his e-mail at the beginning of the tutorial........However, the e-mail isn't working.... Therefore, no response.... I'll keep trying to find help for you.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
11/27/12 02:40 AM (11 years ago)
Hi guys. I'm not a huge Amazon EC2 fan but I saw @ALFREA's post in another thread....about this post. This can't be that tough, can it? I looked at the .PDF tutorial that was created sometime ago, wow....loads and loads of steps. For sure it does not need to be "that hard" to get the self hosted package going but could be, depending on your approach. It looks like this discussion is about setting up the outbound email options in the Amazon Cloud. It may be worth knowing that the ONLY thing in the self hosted package that uses email is the Forgot Password option on the login screen. There are no other routines that send outbound emails to anyone. This may change but today there is only one feature that requires email. Resetting passwords. So, if you don't need the forgot password feature (admins can reset any password on the manage users screen) and you can't figure out how to get Amazon to send emails anyway, you can simply not worry about this feature. --Get a box running .PHP --Upload the files to a web enabled directory. --Set the permissions in the /files directory (and all subdirectories) to read / write / execute --Create a database, remember the db name, user login, and user password --Visit yourdomain.com/BT-server/install in your browser. It really should be that easy, and has been for lots and lots of folks. Not sure if this post helped or frustrated you more? Hoping it helped :-)

mosesf
Aspiring developer
San Antonio
11/27/12 03:08 PM (11 years ago)
I was taking the 'verbatim' approach. I've spent the last month trying to learn PHP and MySQL, all that jazz, however I am just not sure when I am doing right or doing wrong. Which is funny, because now, I've run into something new, I can't finish the FTP setup. In fact, I am not sure what is actually necessary, the guide doesn't say what is needed. I think I'll try to backtrack and look at some of the older posts in this topic, I am sure I am not the only one running into some trouble. Nonetheless, thanks @David @ buzztouch. Cheers. -Moses

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
11/27/12 04:15 PM (11 years ago)
"the guide doesn't say what is needed" The .PDF guide in the download? Not sure how to best advise. The assumption is that you have installed web based applications before, understand the relationship between the files in the web-based app, your database, and your control panel. If this is totally foreign to you, there isn't another way to explain it all. The .PDF is as through as it gets...IF you understand webservers. If you do not, you may be best off taking a different approach. I really do hope you can get something going and really wish I could offer some more meaningful advise.

ALFREA
Aspiring developer
San Antonio, TX
11/27/12 04:49 PM (11 years ago)
Thank you for your help, David. :-). I thought Amazon EC2 would be a fun challenge for some students, but it seems to be a headache. We should have an app out in a few months as part of a school project. We will let you know how it goes. Thanks, again. :D

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.