Michael Travis
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 24, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
08/22/13 10:23 AM (10 years ago)

Question about JSON Snippet Keeper and the build process

I am new at creating apps and I have been doing a lot of research here on BT and other forums. My goal is to create both the IOS and Android version of all my apps I create. It is my understanding that IOS uses Objective-C with Java and Android is based upon JAVA. If this is correct then if I use a plugin that is only has IOS code can I take the JSON data generated in the config file by that plugin and use it with JSON Snippet Keeper to create the Android equivalent? This doesn't seem possible but I have to ask because I am really confused at how the JSON is used with each platform.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
08/22/13 10:44 AM (10 years ago)
Hi @JoeCool, Short answer, no! Objective C is totally different than Java in Android. It's best practice to create two Apps for both. With that being said, you can use the JSON Keeper for different screens in each App. I have the JSON Keeper but still trying to get the grasp on it all together. I might be wrong here and will admit my mistake in guiding you here. Hope this helps some! LA

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
08/22/13 10:51 AM (10 years ago)
Hey @JoeCool, LA is correct, you cannot just use JSON to generate a screen. There have to be either Objective C or Java plugin files to deal with the parameters that you find in the JSON. The JSON simply defines the configuration of the screen, which is then created by the plugin code itself. So, unless the plugin provides both .m/.h and .java files, then you're limited to just the platform it supports. Make sense? Mark

Michael Travis
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 24, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
08/22/13 11:08 AM (10 years ago)
@LA Thanks for your reply. @GoNorthwest That makes sense. A screen with out controls would just be a screen.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
08/22/13 11:22 AM (10 years ago)
Your welcome friend! Thank you @GoNorthWest! LA

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 04, 2011
Fredericksburg,...
08/22/13 02:11 PM (10 years ago)
Looks like you're figuring it all out, but I'll throw in a little more info about the JSON Snippet Keeper just in case: The whole purpose of the online control panel is to create JSON configuration text which configures each screen for you. The "Core" project itself (whether iOS or Android) simply uses this JSON to create the screens accordingly (configures the plugins options, more or less.). If someone already knows how to create this JSON manually,(or if they've made it before in another project) then they could use the Snippet Keeper to quickly re-create all the JSON (paste it or type it in) rather than using the control panel to re-create however many screens their JSON would represent. I promise it sounds more confusing than it actually is. And it might be time for another JSON webinar? I'd be happy to conduct one if anyone is interested. Hope this helps. -Chris

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.