Discussion Forums  >  BT.com Website, Account Questions

Replies: 6    Views: 162

five_character_name?
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 11, 2011
CA
01/28/13 04:56 PM (11 years ago)

I was a member, but now I am back to guest.

I am confused, I created this account about 2 years ago. Lately I have been using another account created by the person I am working for (I showed him Buzztouch and he fell in love with it and created an account), but now that I log back on (it has been quite a while) to check on my apps, I see that my account is guest. I remember getting an email congratulating me that I was promoted to a member (I think because of all the time I spent on it at first) . I assumed that since I never payed in the first place, that I wouldn't have to (for a renewal or anything else membership related), is this true?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/28/13 05:47 PM (11 years ago)
Well, I'd rather let the BT Admin staff answer you. But, recently I was 'a member'. It didn't cost anything. Then I upgraded to a $9.99 account. I was still a member, but my 'membership' was upgraded. Recently, before the end of 2012 (or just in the new year), they released a different 'membership' model. So, in the new business model, former non-paying members are now 'guests'. 'Membership' is via a yearly fee, of which comes many benefits. 'Guest' membership (if that's what it is called) has the same features and capabilities as the former 'non paying' membership. I'm not sure if that will clear things up; Stephen Mecurio is the man of the hour in that respect. If your account is somehow erroneous, he'll be the one who can set you straight. Give him an email (contact info is available on the 'about' page...), and he'll be able to provide the 'official' details and explanation. Cheers! -- Smug

five_character_nam...
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 11, 2011
CA
01/28/13 06:22 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks, it makes sense now

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
01/29/13 03:09 PM (11 years ago)
@five_character_name: Welcome back! @SmugWimp is correct, we've made some changes around here and things are moving ahead quickly. We never had a "membership model" before Jan 1st. The idea that you "felt like a member" makes perfect sense..you've been around awhile. You had an account, it had some limitations (that were upgraded for free when we announced the Developer option) and all was good. On Jan 1st we introduced a Membership / Guest approach to try to simplify the idea - it was super confusing before! This means that nothing on your account has changed (number of apps allowed etc) it just means that because you've not clicked through to become a member your account now lists you as a guest It's one or the other - Member or Guest. Regardless of what you're called, you're appreciated. You've been around forever, we're stoked about that, and we don't have any plans to "take anything away" from you. Have a great day.

ASusoeff
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 13, 2011
Bryant, AR
02/27/13 11:59 AM (11 years ago)
so @david, does that mean that all of us "old-timers" now have to Pay to continue developing apps and plugins? I went to look at doing a plugin today and it said I needed to become a member...

ASusoeff
Aspiring developer
Bryant, AR
02/27/13 12:09 PM (11 years ago)
@david...Along those lines, I just checked and it also says I do not have a self hosted server. I DO have one, although I have never updated to Version 2.1.8, I am still running 2.1.6. Should I update? Will I lose everything i have if I do? Thanks Al :-)

ASusoeff
Aspiring developer
Bryant, AR
02/27/13 12:11 PM (11 years ago)
....just don't want all the apps i have to crash....:-(

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.