Discussion Forums  >  App Store Approvals, Thank You's

Replies: 4    Views: 155

MikeP
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 14, 2012
NYC
12/23/12 11:50 AM (11 years ago)

Rejection to Approval - Mini Case Study

All - Put this together as an example of an app rejected for not using native navigation features - and how this was overcome. Illustrates the inconsistency of App Store approvals. 1. Had an app approved by the app store 2. Created a new app using the same navigation / design 3. Second app rejected - not enough interactivity and needed native iOS navigation 4. Appealed - they conceded on the interactivity but maintained the need to change navigation - even though it was based on an already approved app 5. Redesigned 6. Second app approved 7. Third app approved Screen shots / example in the pdf file below. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1343632/Mini%20Case%20Study%20-%20App%20Rejection%20and%20Re-Design.pdf

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
12/23/12 12:05 PM (11 years ago)
This is such a nice presentation! Thank you for sharing it. This type of information is very helpful! It is interesting that they insisted on the native navigation.

ictguy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 17, 2011
Mildura, Austra...
12/23/12 07:14 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks for sharing, just shows what a random process it can be!

Black White
I hate code!
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
hanoi
12/23/12 08:15 PM (11 years ago)
Good job!

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
12/24/12 10:22 AM (11 years ago)
This is a nicely documented lessons-learned. Thanks for sharing your insight. I plopped your PDF into my iBooks, filed into the BuzzTouch collection. I am trying to accept the inconsistency of the App Store review process as a glass half-full. Apple is forcing an evolution towards higher quality and more consistency in all of our new apps. The message is simply: "Yesterday's 'good-enough' is no longer acceptable by our sophisticated users". The challenge put forth by Apple onto us Developers and Designers is to "Think Different" while using the same basic ingredients of the native user interface elements and controls. For example, the Circle Menu plugin is one of those shining (different) examples. I agree with the App Store Reviewer about the Buttons. With my eyes, the Button Menus have always looked and felt felt like HTML controls. I am still trying to figure out the design finesse to enable better usage of Buttons. However, I do like two BuzzTouch apps that rely on Buttons! Think Hopkins by Susan Metoxen and Villa Grove Football by Andy Dahl. Both apps immersed me into their experience by customizing every element of the user interface. Thus, those two apps made me accept and use their UI in a very natural way. Congratulations on getting three apps onto the store! :-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.