Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 2    Views: 132

RobK
Lost but trying
Reg: May 19, 2012
Milton Keynes
11/06/14 04:23 PM (9 years ago)

Back for more.....

Frustration, Inquisitiveness, Edging one step forward, three back, Frustration #2, Bemusement, Shrugging of shoulders, Irritation, Satisfaction, Elation, and that's just remembering my login details! Quite simply though, if you are a newbie this place is bloody brilliant! I look at what I have achieved and think "OK it may not be the absolute dog's but jeez! I look at my phone and think COOOOOL! I made this!" :D That said if you are a newbie taking your first steps I still haven't got a clue what the vast majority of posts on the forum mean or whether it's worth considering trying something the thread is talking about in my app! But it is incredibly satisfying when you eventually activate you app on your phone and up it pops and the range of things you have created are probably something you haven't thought you could ever manage - It's even better when someone asks me a question and I can say hang on... a few clicks later I stick the app under their nose and say "is that what you were looking for? You should have my app!" Two years ago I saw an app for a sports team that someone had produced and thought I wonder if I can do that for my team? So I googled it and found a website and it was really straight forward - within minutes I had an app but although it gave me the information I thought I wanted in my app, it was just awful! ads everywhere and the look was atrocious. So I googled again and eventually found this place. hmmm! No ads and it's free! Cool I'll give this one a go! Now my background is that the nearest I ever got to doing any programming is some Excel VBA - I'm not great at it but generally achieve the end product. Sometimes it's a mess but works other times it's been pretty cool. What I did learn through this though is that if I didn't know how to do something someone, somewhere on the net will probably have the answer if you ask. However I always took it upon myself to get to that point a millisecond before I had a stress induced thrombosis before pitifully crying "help" ! It's the only way to really self-learn. lol The huge problem I had when I first started out on here was 90% of the stuff was just utter gibberish to me - for instance I didn't have a clue what an emulator was! One day, I just followed the instructions then when I was ready it was time to open it and there it was! "Oh that's what an emulator is then how cool is that?...D'uh!!! Of course once I'd joined I wasn't keen on taking Buzztouch 'U' - Hey! It's a guy thing! but seriously I would have had to give up straight away if I didn't. It really did make things so much clearer that I set out on my path to geekdom! It really took no time to be ready to download the project. Of course I hadn't really thought it through and planned a map of what screens I actually wanted or really what it could look like. A menu screen and a few buttons that was open a link to this website page or that website page and maybe a sub menu here for some other stuff etc etc But it was ready to go and to be fair it was very straightforward! Just how I like it. Then came my biggest challenge....Eclipse! Oh My lord! what on earth is this all about? HELP! It was at this point that BT came into its own - The Buzztouch family welcomed me with open arms and took me in as one of their own and guided me through where I was going wrong. I still tried to sort the problems out myself - I spent hours reading or watching youtube videos. But in the back of my mind I knew someone on here is always willing to sort out the problem or, my preference, just point me in the general direction of the answer. How awesome is that? To cut a long story short I finished my app to a point that it was good to go. Unfortunately the one thing I hadn't banked on was my phone was so rubbish that the app was never going to work on it from day 1. AAAARGH! Consequently, that was me done with Buzztouch!!! ROFLMAO Two years on and I have now got a new phone woohoo so I'm back and raring to go and wow! Eclipse huh? How easy was that? pfft I'm not sure I will ever finish my app properly! Everytime I look at it I think hmmmm? I wonder if I could add this or that. I haven't got a clue if I can but I know a fantastic bunch of people who do! Just to finish off, something I should have said when I walked off sulking last time! A massive, massive thank you to everyone who has helped me get this far - I don't mean just those who answer my specific questions by the way but everyone who has contributed - even the newbie who probably thinks they might be asking a stupid question - I have possibly learnt something from that thread as well :D

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
11/06/14 05:45 PM (9 years ago)
Hear hear! Welcome back. Keep us posted with your adventures!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
11/08/14 06:42 AM (9 years ago)
Welcome back to the tribe!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.