pdog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 20, 2013
Kelowna, BC, Ca...
12/09/13 04:19 PM (10 years ago)

How can I make this little diagnostic/expert system app?

Hi there, I am trying to make an app that has screens with some text and buttons on them. I can't use a Quiz plugin because this is not a quiz as sometimes there is just a "Next" button and sometimes more than one answer is "right". It's more of a diagnostic app that asks questions and explains things, and then at the end gives different recommendations depending on what branch/path the user has ended up on. I want it on Android, and no need for accessing online content except at the end possibly linking to a website or sending an email with some contact information. All the content can be embedded in the app. As a picture is worth a 1000 words, here is a picture of what I am trying to do: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmdviiosxi7o2qj/app-screens-flow.jpg I looked at the quiz plugins but they typically have just "one correct" answer, a fixed set of answers, and also do scoring etc. which I don't need. I am hoping there is an easy solution to having screens of text and buttons linking to other screens, as that's all I really need. Any suggestions out there?

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
12/09/13 04:57 PM (10 years ago)
Hi pdog, You could do this easily with a menu or a menu with buttons. Add one menu to another to create rows. Make sense? LA

pdog
buzztouch Evangelist
Kelowna, BC, Ca...
12/09/13 06:01 PM (10 years ago)
That's one angle I will look into. Thanks LA!

pdog
buzztouch Evangelist
Kelowna, BC, Ca...
12/09/13 07:40 PM (10 years ago)
Btw LA how can I have text at the top of the "menu" screens? As in my example diagram...

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 28, 2011
San Diego
12/10/13 08:11 AM (10 years ago)
based on the screenshots, it shouldnt be too difficult to to this with the HTMLpro plugin. I'd go about it in these steps: 1) Create an HTMLpro screen, we'll call it "Start" 2) Create an HTML document that has your question and buttons, and include with in your BT_docs folder with your project 3) Create another HTMLpro screen called "question1" and tie it to the local HTML doc you created "question1.html" 4) On the original HTMLPro screen, add this "question1" screen so that you get your HTMLpro link href (looks like 4037FEB1CCEFB3A760941C0) 5)Repeat steps 3-4 for all screens and buttons. 6)In your local HTML documents, you link to the other screens using that href code the plugin gives you, so for example: What color is the sky? A) Red (links to screen with 4037FEB1CCEFB3A760941C0 code) B) Blue (links to screen with 187FCC5DDAEEBF45925C6BE code [correct answer screen]) C) Green (links to screen with 4037FEB1CCEFB3A760941C0 code) D) Purple (links to screen with 4037FEB1CCEFB3A760941C0 code) hopefully that makes sense! And for your question about the title text at the top of the screen; you can either set the menu text in the buzztouch control panel, which will show the title bar, or if you wanted it to look exactly like your screenshots, you'd just add it to the HTML document manually using html header tags or CSS

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
12/10/13 03:35 PM (10 years ago)
Great advice @piggilypoo! LA

pdog
buzztouch Evangelist
Kelowna, BC, Ca...
12/11/13 05:44 PM (10 years ago)
I tried Menus with Images and the challenge is getting text at the top. If I need to use an image then it doesn't look that great and is not easy to update in future. Not sure what @piggilypoo means by html document - aren't the menus just supporting an image at the top? What html document are you talking about? Thanks.

pdog
buzztouch Evangelist
Kelowna, BC, Ca...
12/13/13 06:42 PM (10 years ago)
I tried to make a simple html doc with a link to the email plugin screen. I then made an html screen and gave it the link to the html doc (not url but local filename), and defined the html pro link. I then used the long hex code in the html doc as the href to the email screen, but got an error. I am getting quite frustrated with html pro. It doesn't give instructions for using offline html docs with bt screens - only hosted urls, so I'm not having any luck.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.