Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 5    Views: 337

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/26/15 07:44 AM (8 years ago)

Happy with a successful Self Hosted Migration

I was pretty pleased with the outcome of my Self Hosted Migration performed today. I have accounts with both Network Solutions, and Hostgator. I plan to drop my Network Solutions hosting service when it expires, and am currently 'casually' migrating my domains from one host to the other. I was a bit concerned about the BT Self Hosting Migration, because I have apps out there that depend on server resources to operate 'normally'. This needed to be done right the first time. Now, from an 'internet' perspective, it's all about DNS. Provided the hardware back end responds to the same url and gives the same response, it doesn't matter if your server is in a data center hosted rack, or in your living room next to the TV. It was mostly about a getting the data safely and correctly from host A to host B, and then doing the DNS. 1) In my 'source' host, I downloaded a backup of my BT mySQL database. This can be done via phpMyAdmin for most folks, and it created an SQL file that I could use later. 2) using the 'FileZilla' FTP client, I downloaded the entire BT Self Hosted server directory structure, including data, plugins etc... 3) Using my hostgator control panel, I created subdomains that 'match' the live URLs. 4) Using the FileZilla FTP Client, I uploaded the entire BT Self Hosted server directory structure, including data, plugins, etc... 5) Using the 'textwrangler' Text Editor (NotePad++ for you windows types) I edited the config.php of my 'new' BT Self Hosted server, changing the database name (which was way different) as well as user, pass, and host. Also pay attention to 'physical path' as it will be different. Most everything else 'should' be the same. 6) Using the hostgator control panel, I created a new MySQL database and user. 7) Using hostgators phpMyAdmin, I opened my new BT Database and imported the previously saved SQL File in step 1. 8) In my domain (marianasgps.com) records I changed the DNS servers from Network Solutions (where all of my domain names are registered) to Hostgator (easily locatable the left column of your account control panel). 9) Crossed fingers and toes, and waited for the new DNS information to propagate across the net. 10) Unknown to you, during all of this I also created/duplicated email addresses on my new host, and noted the new passwords. I am pleased to say that so far, things seem to be running smoothly. I didn't need to create or deal with a new BT API key, and all apps refresh with no errors. This was just to more or less let anyone know that if they 'had' to migrate their host, specifically their BT Self Hosted setup, with the right prep and a quick DNS propagation, the whole thing can be done within a few hours. Yell if you have a question. I can't answer 'all' situations, just mine. And it went without a hitch. But I credit my success on my many many miserable failures in the past that have taught me which parts to pay attention to what I was doing and think about what needed to be done to prepare for a smooth transition. Cheers! -- Smug Also, a detail forgotten (but mentioned later in this thread) is the fact that I forgot to update my BT API Key details. If you remember (which I didn't) when you first registered with self hosting, it required the IP Address of your host, which will obviously change when you change hosting providers. I changed this with no problem. Hope you wrote down your authentication credentials. Fortunately I did. Now I'm having issues downloading plugins to my self hosted, but I found this valuable information from Mr. David, and if you're moving to Hostgator, you'll want to read it. http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=BE865599ED6046C3C7685BC&currentPage=147 I had to open a ticket because the 'on duty' guy either couldn't fix it, didn't understand, or didn't have access. A day later I got email requesting credentials to access my self hosted to replicate the problem. I provided that, and the day after I got email informing me the issue was resolved. They did exactly what Mr. David described. But it works fine now.

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
06/26/15 08:19 AM (8 years ago)
Awesome! Did you change your ip address in the BT Self Hosted Server API Key Details?

mysps
Code is Art
Palma
06/26/15 09:07 AM (8 years ago)
--

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/26/15 09:26 AM (8 years ago)
Umm, after you mentioned it, I did. ;) Cheers! -- Smug

mysps
Code is Art
Palma
06/26/15 09:36 AM (8 years ago)
;) sweet!

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
06/26/15 11:37 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks for the info Smug, I'm toying with the idea of doing something similar in the near future.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.