Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 28    Views: 343

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Reg: Nov 05, 2011
Rhode Island
05/12/15 09:03 AM (8 years ago)

Edit - Self hosted

*Edit* Apparently offering such hosting service is causing more problems than necessary.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
05/12/15 12:13 PM (8 years ago)
Nice work there, Chad! -- Niraj

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Rhode Island
05/12/15 12:42 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks, Niraj! Really excited to see what people think of the control panel.

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 28, 2011
San Diego
05/12/15 12:58 PM (8 years ago)
Real like the new control panel. I already have hosting though that has all of my websites, etc optimized for the drupal platform I use, and at a cheaper price. Would you offer your control panel separately? I'd be interested in that.

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Rhode Island
05/12/15 01:15 PM (8 years ago)
@piggilypoo the monthly hosting costs include customer support for the control panel and server itself (hosting companies do not provide support for BT services), constant updates to the platform, plugin access that I develop myself and a unique control panel for those who don't feel comfortable coding themselves..after a lot of market research, price is more than fair. I want to offer something unique to everyone that chooses to host through my servers, so for that reason, I'm not looking to sell it separately.

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
San Diego
05/12/15 01:20 PM (8 years ago)
The only reason I wouldn't do your hosting is just because it wouldn't make sense to pay for separate hosting just for BT apps, especially when I need hosting that provides features to support my website platform. Just something to consider :) If you ever change your mind let me know

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Rhode Island
05/12/15 01:25 PM (8 years ago)
I'm not sure how many domains you own, but of course the hosting wouldn't be just for BT apps. The user can have this front end site hosted there, sub-domains, etc. My servers are capable of handling joomla, wordpress, drupal and much more. But I do understand what you're saying.

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
05/12/15 05:12 PM (8 years ago)
Very Cool. have PM'd you :)

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
05/12/15 05:36 PM (8 years ago)
@chadH0139, amazing what a little CSS can do, good looking stuff here. Where / what is the download URL for the "improved@ self-hosted package you've created?

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Rhode Island
05/12/15 05:54 PM (8 years ago)
@Kaybe - Thanks, responding to your PM now. Thanks, David! There isn't a download link for the self-hosted package. Making it available for those that would like a hosting service and don't feel comfortable with the install/maintenance of hosting providers.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
05/12/15 07:25 PM (8 years ago)
Hello Chad, That was a subtle reminder by David that the code is GPL-licensed. Which means all of the original code and the modifications to the code must be made available upon request. Both piggilypoo and David had made such a request through their questions. Code coverage includes the PHP, JS, CSS, ObjC, and Java files. Server-side and Mobile-side. The GPL-license does not stop you from making money from the software. When you distribute the modifications by establishing your own service, all of the code must be made available upon request. This applies to all Buzztouch entrepreneurs, self-hosted or not. Sincerely, -- Niraj

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
05/12/15 08:07 PM (8 years ago)
This sound eerily similar to a service I used to offer hehe. Of course, my custom theme and "pre-installed" mods were all free to download and released to the public, folks still wanted to host with me for the service regardless. I don't think you would be doing yourself any favors keeping your code locked away, trust me, you don't need to do that to get clients. If it worked fine for me, it will work fine for you :-) Since you are a 3 year BT member, I think you would agree it's not really in the spirit of BT way anyways. :-) Anyways, for folks who would like a new login page, I redesigned mine a little, fading background images behind the login box, login box can be transparent. I've got other stuff, but nothing I think is worth releasing, not with the new Self-Hosted coming out, that by the way, beats all of our stuff hands down from what we've seen previews from ;-) Either way, if anyone wants, you can PM me for mine, nothing major like above, but something nice to have until we wait for David's new redesigned release. http://imgur.com/a/M2a2C Cheers! David.

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
05/12/15 09:47 PM (8 years ago)
Looks nice. Good job.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
05/13/15 06:21 AM (8 years ago)
lol Ken Adams..wasn't that Joey's AKA on Friends? So I would have my own account then my customers would have their own? LA

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Rhode Island
05/13/15 08:11 AM (8 years ago)
Niraj - thanks for pointing that, didn't quite catch on to that subtle hint. @David - I'll package it up later this evening when I get home and send it off to you if you'd like. @MrDavid - What worked for you, may not work for everyone. My goals may not be aligned with what you once provided. My intentions weren't to "keep my code locked away" from others just to get clients. My thoughts were simple...offer a unique experience for those that choose to host through my servers. Your post makes it seems like I'm intentionally trying to undermine BT or BT users. I know sometimes text communications can be misconstrued, but it didn't come off in a good way and especially in comparison to what you "used" to offer then advertising your login code. Not everything in the BT community is free and I do believe all your plugins are $40 in the market. @nadthevlad - Thanks for the compliment @LA - I had actually just finished watching that episode of friends lol so it was still fresh in my mind. The user roles work the same way they do now in the self-hosted panel. 2 roles (admin and normal). If you assign someone to the Normal user role, then they will see the client control portal. Admin roles have access to everything.

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
San Diego
05/13/15 09:04 AM (8 years ago)
I'd like the package as well please :)

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
05/13/15 09:15 AM (8 years ago)
Chad, you took a few well intentioned sentences and totally misconstrued my post - I totally was NOT attacking you. Apologies if it came out that way, I was just trying to help. I was comparing your service to my old similar BT service as an example to you that it works and that you shouldn't worry about releasing any code, this was meant to assure you that your business model would not fail. Just because I compared my long-dead-ended service in order to get a well-intentioned point accross means not-whatsoever that I was attacking you, not sure why you had to see it like that at all? I never said you couldn't offer anything that's not free. Where did you get that from in my words? The "BT Spirit" I was talking about is open-source code, not selling services/plugins for free. Think: BT Membership. So now that we're all cleared up on that, why don't you throw me a download link to your server too? Consider that an official request, and don't forget our good friend @piggilypoo. :-) David.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
05/13/15 09:16 AM (8 years ago)
Beautiful CSS and images, Chad! I would love the code as well. You are a design pro1!

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
05/13/15 09:23 AM (8 years ago)
It's a party! For the folks who missed it: https://sendvid.com/5byg71sy or use http://tinypic.com/r/55nedz/8 Feel free to get in touch with Chad for your copy: https://www.buzztouch.com/chadh0130 or by email (email might not work): [email protected] @Chad, no need to edit your post, your service is fine AND people have expressed an interest in hosting with you, the only "problem" (not really a problem) was the licence, which can work side-to-side with your service. I'd recommend throwing your post back up, there's lots of money to be made self-hosting for folks, and I do think people would get value hosting with you. I mean that very genuinely. List of requests so far: David @ buzztouch piggilypoo mrDavid Susan @ buzztouch SmugWimp tompos Cheers, David.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/13/15 09:45 AM (8 years ago)
I think the improved control panel will help in the decision for someone looking for a hosting service to look closer at your services, with the eventual signing up with you. The main reason people aren't self hosting, is due to the complexity of getting a hosting service, downloading the software, installing the software, configuring the software, etc... etc... There's a lot going on before someone can even touch the control panel, so "If" I were someone looking for a BT host, I'd certainly look at your services, due to the simplicity and streamlining you've done to the front end. But for those who are already self hosting, moving to another host doesn't hold as much attraction. So, releasing your front end probably won't make a dent in your current business model. We're not likely to be that kind of customer. So, worry not. And please put me down on the list to recieve the front-end package. :) Cheers! -- Smug

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
05/13/15 09:50 AM (8 years ago)
@Smug, that's **exactly** what I was trying to say, it didn't hurt my service at all, so it shouldn't hurt his either.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
05/13/15 10:05 AM (8 years ago)
@chad0h130, Nice to see such good support for your professional work. Look for an email from me later about how we might be able to leverage what you've done so that everyone wins, including you. You should be proud of yourself. Lots of attempts to "style" that package suck, including mine, LOL. Good stuff. Find my email later :-)

tompos
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 19, 2013
Würzburg
05/13/15 10:30 AM (8 years ago)
Chad, this looks very good, a nice and clean design. I am interested to be added to the list ;-). Best wishes Thomas

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
05/14/15 03:43 PM (8 years ago)
General question. Is it a possibility to sell self-hosted server front end mods like this in the plugin market? (or other market) GPL infers that the recipient inherits the same rights to ALL code, original and modifications, whereas, MIT allows the recipient the rights to the original code but not necessarily any mods? Either way, the code can be sold. ... or am I misinterpreting these? I would love to use Chad's design work, but shouldn't he be compensated for it? Thank you.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
05/15/15 04:37 AM (8 years ago)
MIT and BSD licenses allow you to make modifications to the code without requiring one to make the modifications available for subsequent usage. That is why Apple favors the MIT, Apache and BSD licenses. They also participate on GPL-licensed projects. -- Niraj

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
05/15/15 06:20 AM (8 years ago)
What about back end services with your hosting plan? As far as creating databases and custom made php scripts? LA

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
San Diego
05/26/15 10:28 AM (8 years ago)
I take it we're not going to get this control panel theme? :(

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
05/26/15 10:29 AM (8 years ago)
I could have told you that lol!

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
08/05/15 10:52 AM (8 years ago)
Hi folks! In case you missed it, @chadh0130 (Chad Hammer) made an excellent mod to his self-hosted, which he so kindly posted about a few months back. Here is a nice video of it: https://sendvid.com/5byg71sy or use http://tinypic.com/r/55nedz/8 Feel free to get in touch with Chad for your copy: https://www.buzztouch.com/chadh0130 or by email (email might not work): [email protected] @Chad, get in touch with me, yeah? :-) Cheers, David.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.