Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 2    Views: 333

juk
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 16, 2014
York, UK
01/13/15 01:20 AM (9 years ago)

Allow GPS plugin - still required in every app which uses location?

Hi all. The Allow GPS plugin states "This displays a screen that allows a user to prevent their device from reporting it's location to the app. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO INCLUDE THIS SCREEN IF THE APP USES LOCATION INFORMATION. ALWAYS HONOR END-USER REQUESTS TO NOT REPORT THEIR LOCATION." However, the location features and their privacy settings seem to have changed a lot recently (on iOS) and the settings are controlled by accepting/rejecting on screen prompts. In fact, this plugin seems ineffective now. So am I right in thinking it is no longer required? Thanks James

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/13/15 07:43 PM (9 years ago)
Well, it depends on you. That particular setting is for the BT App that you're building. So, *if* the user has location services turned on, and *if* the user accepts the agreement/prompt, then the 'allow GPS' plugin (which really isnt a plugin so much as a setting) can turn on/off GPS capability in *your app* only. The reality is, that my apps depend on GPS in order to operate correctly, and if a user declines GPS/Location updates then my apps won't work well. I always include this setting to allow the user to turn on/off GPS updates for the app although they shouldn't turn it off if they want things to work. The point from Apple being, users need 'the option' to do things. So drop it in, and let it be. Cheers! -- Smug

juk
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 16, 2014
York, UK
01/14/15 01:53 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks Smug. The thing is, I'm not sure it even works in recent iOS releases. It doesn't seem to affect the Location Services setting for the app (i.e. Always/When Using/Never) and doesn't appear to prevent GPS functioning in the app. No need to reply, just wanted to mention it in case it changes your approach. Cheers James

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.