Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 7    Views: 66

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
05/02/14 10:31 PM (10 years ago)

PLUGIN UPDATED: Shark Attack - Now with iPad Support!

Shark attack now has full ipad and ipad retina support! Version 1.1 - Added full iPad support! Also added code to make your device vibrate to the beat of the Jaws theme while playing, commented the hell out of the code, sped up the default game speed a bit (to make it a little more challenging), increased the size of the divers, mines, and shark, and also made the objects appear in a truly random fashion. The buzzing to the background music is something I'm especially proud of :) Take a look at the plugin here: https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=13E45EB1068BA0DFA1DBA20 Full sample demo video is also located in the plugin page. Enjoy!

GraciousWolf_PE
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 15, 2012
Montreal
05/03/14 12:07 AM (10 years ago)
Sweet, Angry Ninja, such a quick turnaround! Full iPad support is quite the perk along with the rest of the additions. ;) Have a great weekend! Nicholas

Mackimack
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 30, 2010
Sweden
05/03/14 02:46 AM (10 years ago)
@ angry ninja How did you fix your iPad xib ?

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
05/03/14 02:58 AM (10 years ago)
I'm honestly not sure, lol. I must have added and deleted a ~ipad file a hundred times, and one time it just took. I tried different variation of ~ipad, ~iPad, _iPad & _iPhone combinations, copying my existing iphone xib and renaming it... very frustrating, spend almost an entire day on it. I did notice once throughout the process that I did in fact have it right, but had to reset contents and settings in the simulator as my previous errors were being cached in the simulator, making it LOOK like it wasn't working when in fact it was. Chris1 and them were right though... doing what they said eventually worked... just not on the first try. To my recollection, it was something like this: 1) In Xcode... File > New > File 2) Select "View", then give it a name and make sure iPad is set for the type. I named mine the same as the iphone version of the xib, and added ~ipad, so in my case, it was AN_SharkAttack~ipad.xib 3) Select the view controller and in the 3rd tab in the right panel, change the class to your appropriately named class (in my example, it was AN_SharkAttack) 4) Select the view, and drag the referencing outlet to the view controller to set the view. 5) In your simulator, with ipad already chosen, go to IOS Simulator > Clear Contents and Settings" (this dumps any cached versions of your xib info) 6) In Xcode, clean your project (this dumps any old xib info) 7) Cross your fingers and build in the ipad simulator, hoping that your newly created XIB shows instead of the iphone one. I even pushed my luck and got the storyboard~ipad working as well using the same process, but selecting storyboard instead of view. Shark Attack uses both, it uses an XIB for the opening screen, and a storyboard for the main game.

Mackimack
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 30, 2010
Sweden
05/03/14 03:14 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Angry Ninja I will try it later to day.

Shorewalk
Lost but trying
Reg: Nov 06, 2012
location unknow...
05/03/14 12:32 PM (10 years ago)
Downloaded the game and got some ideas about it. Swimmers are charged either with plus or minus points. When "game over", depending on the total score, the player receives a written performance ... points between 0-25 Try again, next time better luck! (or any other text) points between 25-50 (Text comment) points between 50-75 (Text comment) points between 75-100 (Text comment) and so on In the beginning of the game what if you could choose who the shark likes or not. Depending on the players choose the swimmers would be loaded with - or + points. Just some ideas if you want to develop the game further ...

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
05/03/14 12:38 PM (10 years ago)
Not bad ideas at all. You could also have powerup that assign "points" in a different way... but instead of for the player, in the form of attributes to the different characters in the water, as they basically use that already... default swim and angle speed are controlled on them for example by assigning -10... where -15 speeds him up, and -5 would slow him down. +5 would make him swim backwards, lol. Same thing for the shark speed, and the movement of all the other things. Each thing in the water has it's own movement speed. I also want to add a "turbo shot" or whatever you want to call it, where a double tap would lunge the shark forward across like half the screen, to escape a near hit by a mine or something... and of course you'd have to fill your energy bar to save up for those turbo boosts. I submitted a form of it to the app store today as a free game, with iAds installed in it. We'll see how it does... might be a nice little platform to build some serious upgrades on.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
05/03/14 06:50 PM (10 years ago)
Nice ipad support is greatly needed as ipads and tablets are used alot more for gaming than the phone it seems

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.