Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 07, 2011
West Midlands
02/12/14 12:59 PM (10 years ago)

RESOLVED - Buzztouch Core for Android v3 Issues

Hi, I'm really struggling with android v3. I've got a brand new self hosted v3.0.0 installed and a sample app set up. It downloads and runs if I download it as android v2 but there are problems when I download it as android v3. 1. It will not let me import it into eclipse. 2. I note that when I look in BT_Docs that it jas a file called bt_screen_htmldoc_sample.html which says "No File Name or Data URL was setup for this screen. This is a sample .html file in the BT_Docs folder that comes with this plugin." when opened. This file is not present in the android v2 download. I've been through Mark Fleming's excellent video "Twenty Minute Tutorial : Working With The Buzztouch Android" but no help on these issues. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what could be wrong. John

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/12/14 01:20 PM (10 years ago)
Hi John, Let's start with issue #1 - what errors do you get when you try to import the project files? And are you using the Import > Existing Android Project Files method? Mark

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/12/14 02:19 PM (10 years ago)
I agree with Mark. If you could let us know some of the errors you're getting it will help pinpoint the problem. bt_screen_htmldoc_sample.html is a sample file included with the Android HTMLDoc plugin. It was not supplied with v2. Cheers! -- Smug

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
02/12/14 03:19 PM (10 years ago)
Many thanks. I can see why the file is there, now, Smug. Eclipse will not let me import the file at all. I cannot put a tick in the box to select the project at the final stage, it goes to a square. It is like eclipse does not recognise it as a project. I've tried various ways of importing but same result. John.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/12/14 03:41 PM (10 years ago)
I guess I'm not sure how you add your project with eclipse… I use the 'new -> other -> Android project from existing code' and then navigate to the root of the Android package (that contains the Android Manifest.xml file) and that seems to do it for me. Maybe a different procedure might work?? Good Luck! Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
02/13/14 02:50 AM (10 years ago)
@Higgey, I have noticed something that may be similar in the past. In my case, I pinned it down to Eclipse complaining the name of the project already exists (I spotted tiny message in a non-obvious place near the top in the Eclipse import Wizard). The way I fixed it was to rename the existing offending project in Eclipse. I had to 'refresh' first, then 'refactor'. After that the import worked for me. Worth a go?

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
02/13/14 05:56 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks everyone. AlanMac - that did the trick. The project is now imported. Thank you! I've managed to get the project to run (wayhay! and thanks to Mark Fleming for the awesome video explaining how to set it all up) and it opens on my device and shows the menusimple screen that I created. However, the html document does not load when I click the Menu item. Instead, the app wants to use an HTML Viewer to open the document. It can do so and the document opens, but this is obviously not a great user experience. I've looked around the forum and I'm not the first to have this issue but I cannot see any solution. I'd be grateful for any help in overcoming this issue. John

@rob
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 10, 2013
Alabama
02/13/14 10:55 AM (10 years ago)
I am sure there are other options, but I use @chris1's HTML Pro plugin for all my Android HTML screens and have no issues

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
02/13/14 12:00 PM (10 years ago)
Hi @Higgey, Personally, I have ditched the html doc plugin in favour of @Chris1's HTML Pro plugin as it works equally in Android and IOS. I think this thread about covers the options:- http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=9DB53EB6CCFD39A7E263A83&sortColumn=FT.id&sortUpDown=DESC&currentPage=2

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
02/13/14 12:45 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks Rob and thanks AlanMac. I've had a good look at @Chris1's HTML Pro plugin and it looks like an ideal solution. I'll get hold of it and give it a go. I'm around tomorrow and then our kids have a week's holiday so I will not be able to work a lot until they go back to school, so I might not report back for a few days. I really am grateful for the help :) John.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/13/14 12:52 PM (10 years ago)
Great advice, Alan! I'll have remember that one in my book of tricks. I bet there was another buzzTouch project in Eclipse somewhere! John - glad the video was helpful! Mark

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
02/13/14 03:35 PM (10 years ago)
Eclipse has some wierd foibles. Happy I could help.

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
02/19/14 07:40 AM (10 years ago)
Hi everyone, I've bought and installed @Chris1's HTML Pro plugin and used it as a replacement for the usual BT html doc plugin. It works perfectly in my Android test app, behaving exactly as the old BT html doc plugin did. I chose Chris's plugin because it works for both Android and iOS. Thanks to Chris for developing this solution. Thank you to everyone for helping me to resolve this issue. I've been studying Android and Java for the last few weeks because I am determined to make better quality apps. This has left my not so bright brain feeling rather fuzzy, to say the least, so I'm grateful that you all pitched in to help me see the wood for the trees. My kids are back to school next week and I will then start developing apps for iOS. Wish me luck! Thanks again, gang, I really am totally indebted. Virtual beers all round from me. John

@rob
Code is Art
Alabama
02/19/14 10:38 AM (10 years ago)
@Higgey, the HTML Pro plugin and the old HTML doc plugin share nothing in common (as far as being tied together in any way) and can be run side by side. The behavior you observed is not typical. I have both installed and have no conflicts.

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
02/19/14 10:42 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks, Rob. I've updated my post.

@rob
Code is Art
Alabama
02/19/14 10:44 AM (10 years ago)
@Higgey what company do you use for webhosting of your self hosted server? The problem you had regarding having to FTP the plugin to your server may be related to your BT_plugin update and install php script not being allowed by your hosting provider. I actually had to contact HostGator and have them "whitelist" that particular script before I could successfully run a plugin update or do new plugin installs.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
02/19/14 10:54 AM (10 years ago)
Hi @Higgey, to echo @Rob, I have both the BT html doc plugin and the html pro. I did not have to install html pro via FTP, nor did I have to delete the BT html doc plugin - they co-exist quite happily. It does suggest an underlying issue somewhere for you to still find I think. Alan

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
02/19/14 12:08 PM (10 years ago)
Hi AlanMac and Rob, I'm with Hostgator. I'll do what Rob did and ask them to whitelist the plugin, but I had to FTP all my plugins. I've amended my comments above. I was trying to give people a head's up. John

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
02/19/14 12:20 PM (10 years ago)
All good John, not sure what is going on with your self hosted, it just seems something, (hopefully minor), is making things harder for you than they should be. PSMDanny might be able to cast some light on self hosted symptoms if you need somebody, he knows more than most about these things.

@rob
Code is Art
Alabama
02/19/14 12:28 PM (10 years ago)
@higgey if you go to your BT Plugins page and click on the "check for updates" link, find a plug-in that has an update available and click on it to start the update process (you will notice that it says is it downloading the new update) but it will just spin forever and never finish the process. Its because HostGator is not allowing that script to connect to Buzztouch. So once you have that script going trying to update, get Hostgator on the phone or on live chat and tell them to look for the script that is currently failing (because you have it running it will make it easy for them to find). Tell them you need that script Whitelisted and they will make the notation in your .htaccess file. Let them know it's calling from the URL: <a href="http://YOURDOMAIN.com/BT-Server/admin/pluginsUpdate.php" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://YOURDOMAIN.com/BT-Server/admin/pluginsUpdate.php</a>

@rob
Code is Art
Alabama
02/19/14 01:21 PM (10 years ago)
sorry doublepost

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
02/19/14 03:11 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks, AlanMac. Thanks, @Rob. My server does exactly as you describe. I will get on to it. I really appreciate your advice as I had no idea what to do.

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
02/20/14 01:11 PM (10 years ago)
@rob - thank you! I've done as you advised and I can now run the script and I've been able to download plugins directly from my server. Marvellous! I've amended my comments above as they were not helpful to anyone. Once again, thank you everyone. John.

@rob
Code is Art
Alabama
02/20/14 01:18 PM (10 years ago)
That's great John, glad you got it worked out. thats why I love BT, its a great group of folks helping each other out and sharing knowledge.

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
West Midlands
02/20/14 01:27 PM (10 years ago)
Yes, Rob. Hopefully, I'll be able to start putting something back at some stage. I met David last year and I must say that his enthusiasm and ethos are infectious. But, yes, what a wonderful community this is. Looks like all is well for my server now except for the custom url plugin for some reason. I'll try to get that fixed. Thanks again for your kind assistance.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.