DS
Android Fan
Reg: Sep 26, 2016
Atlanta
04/27/17 01:47 PM (6 years ago)

IOS version of Android App

I'm new to Buzztouch and deveopling apps so any input here is greatly appreciated! I maintain a single app that is basically just a contact list I update weekly (shows who is on standby for after hours service) for internal use only within the company and currently we only have an Android version. The company now wants an IOS version. -Would I need to create a second Buzztouch app and compile it in Xcode or can I just compile the existing app and publish it to the App Store (I understand a Apple Developer subscription is required) -The app contains information the company would not want publicly available. We side-load on Android so it's not a problem. What would be the best we to handle the privacy aspect with Apple? -I have no OS X device to run XCode and would prefer to avoid purchasing one. Any information on the feasibility of getting an OS X virtual machine running in VMWare Workstation and running XCode there? Thanks!

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
04/27/17 08:26 PM (6 years ago)
Hi DS. The simple answers are - -If you packaged your Android app with Buzztouch you do not need to create a separate app for iOS. You just need to code and compile in Xcode. -You can create and distribute an "Enterprise App" outside of the Apple App Store. -You can easily run OS X in a VM. But, you can legally, only run the VM on Mac hardware.

DS
Android Fan
Atlanta
04/27/17 08:36 PM (6 years ago)
Awesome, thanks Red Dog - exactly what I was looking for! I'll look into Enterprise Apps.

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 07, 2013
blackpool
04/27/17 11:34 PM (6 years ago)
I can confirm with red dog about the vm ware, when i first started i didnt have mac, and spent about 6 weeks and i need to install linux on a pc, got most of the components working, but it never produced an apk for apple, no matter what i tried, you can buy cheap macs on ebay for around £250

DS
Android Fan
Atlanta
04/28/17 05:17 AM (6 years ago)
Awesome, thanks Red Dog - exactly what I was looking for! I'll look into Enterprise Apps.

DS
Android Fan
Atlanta
04/28/17 05:37 AM (6 years ago)
Sorry, double post. Thanks Funky Monkey.

Chris from Staffor...
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 14, 2013
Stafford
04/29/17 04:14 AM (6 years ago)
When I first messed about with iOS apps I set up my PC to dual boot - I installed the MAC OS on my windows PC using the Hackintosh method and it worked pretty well. Now I have a mini mac that I use for iOS which is so much simpler as I can work on both systems at once.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.