08/15/13 03:08 PM (10 years ago)

Figuring out how much to charge a client

How much do you guys charge a client to make an app for them? Thanks, Adam

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
08/15/13 04:35 PM (10 years ago)
Good question. No easy answer but there are factors involved and don't underestimate what you are providing. 1. iOS, Android, tablets? All three? 2. Are you going to setup Play and Apple Developer Account? That's a line item. 3. Ongoing support? Another line item. 4. How many hours do you see yourself putting in, what is your time worth to you and them? 5. Testing. Are you doing this all alone or sending to them? Line item. 6. Content. Who is creating the copy, images and so on. Other things to consider. 1. Scope of work. If they sign of and deviate, line item. 2. Monthly retainer for updates changes and so on. Very few good apps launch and never change. 3. 12 months in. Accounts need renewed. Will you do this? Line item. 4. Are you setting up a login on the control panel for them? Training costs, line item. Again, it's very easy to underestimate your time, worth, skills and so on. There is no magic number but most devs probably wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than...... Other folk will chip in with their thoughts. All the best.

Adam
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 23, 2010
Southern Califo...
08/15/13 04:43 PM (10 years ago)
Hey MacApple, Thanks for the response. I am developing a iPhone/iPad app. I think am publishing the app. I will give them continued support. I am letting using my control panel. I think am going to charge monthly for that. Am adding photos, videos, given ability for push notifications, and making a blog for them. How much would you charge? This is the first app I'm going to make for a client. Thanks, Adam

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/15/13 06:43 PM (10 years ago)
With respect to pricing, MacApple touched on most of the good points. David produced a very nice SOW template: https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/sow-sample.pdf If you're going to give someone (especially a 'user') control panel access, be sure to remove all ability to shoot themselves (or you) in the foot. https://www.buzztouchmods.com/downloads.php?cat_id=2&download_id=26 Cheers! -- Smug

MacApple
Apple Fan
USA
08/15/13 06:56 PM (10 years ago)
Good links @SmugWimp! @Adam - If you direct message me or email me I can share a few things, never like saying prices in the forum as I wouldn't want folk to think I know what I am talking about. We all have different ideas but.......

MacApple
Apple Fan
USA
08/15/13 08:01 PM (10 years ago)
You have mail buddy, well several!

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
08/17/13 11:45 AM (10 years ago)
Yo Keith, can you send me your thoughts also? Your lovely lass already has my email address :-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.