Discussion Forums  >  Meetups, Hang Outs, and Events

Replies: 8    Views: 429

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
12/03/14 02:10 PM (9 years ago)

Buzztouch Developer Meeting

Hey gang, sorry for the late notice. We'll be discussing Android layouts at 1:00 PM Dec 3rd. That's "now"... Join us if you can.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
12/03/14 10:20 PM (9 years ago)
That was a great meeting. Every time I have a problem with an Android layout I find a fix in stack overflow rather than take a step back and understand the layouts. Now it makes so much more sense.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
12/03/14 10:56 PM (9 years ago)
That was a great lesson in Android layouts. I don't believe it was recorded though (please correct me if I'm wrong on this one). In my apps, I now generate layouts on the fly, as needed. For instance, in my AdMob plugin, I can state how many ads do I want to have in the, say, Menu with Image screen. In the control panel for the plugin I state -- no ads at all -- one ad, at the top of the screen, -- one ad, at the bottom of the screen, -- two ads at the same time, one at the top and the other at the bottom of the screen. With this setup, I can test which ads are making more money, and I am able to have, say, AdMob at the top and, say, StartApp ads at the bottom. To do that I create layouts as needed, using the statement like this: layout.addView(adView, 0, lpView); // adds above WebView to add the ad at the top, or simply layout.addView(adViewBottom, lpView); // adds below WebView to ad the layout at the bottom of the screen. In reality, it is much more complex than this, but still, it is possible. I mean, we are constantly generating JSON for menus on the fly, so why not do the same for the other parts of the app? =============== David also said that, beginning with January, he will be holding two meetings per week, one strictly Android, the other strictly iOS. That is great news and I am very much looking forward to it!

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
12/03/14 11:19 PM (9 years ago)
I am very disappointed that the wisdom of David has not been recorded and published from the recent meetings. Perhaps next time :-) -- Niraj

krompa
Lost but trying
Reg: Jun 14, 2013
Bristol
12/04/14 03:27 AM (9 years ago)
Great to see more focus on Android. I agree with Niraj, it would be great to have seen this recorded and also advertised earlier.

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 03, 2010
Medford, MA
12/04/14 08:02 AM (9 years ago)
I also agree with Niraj. Because of my job it simply isn't possible to attend most of these meetings and they are really the only benefit of my paid membership (only 3 apps, no push, not selling plugins, etc). I really hope these are recorded in the future.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
12/04/14 08:22 AM (9 years ago)
I record when I can...I couldn't yesterday because I am traveling. I have the recordings but there is a problem when uploading them to YouTube. ("Video failed to process") Once I finish traveling I will see if I can upload them to Vimeo. It is hard to say why it used to work and then stopped working--I have been too busy with work to diagnose the problem. At one point I started cutting off the videos at one hour and that seemed to help.

0z2000tv
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 10, 2011
Nashville
12/04/14 10:36 AM (9 years ago)
Sorry I missed this one. I bought an android device and have set a goal of publishing another Android App in Q1. David, thank you for inviting me. I enjoy being a part of the community. I would prefer to have a recording available, but given membership is $50 a year and not $50 per month my expectations are adjusted accordingly. Maybe next time. Mike

krompa
Lost but trying
Reg: Jun 14, 2013
Bristol
12/04/14 02:05 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks Susan, much appreciated.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.