Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 8    Views: 90

LevensGardener
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 30, 2012
Kendal
04/04/14 01:20 AM (10 years ago)

iBeacon Plugin- not receiving...

I am experimenting with Mr David's iBeacon Plugin. Great BuzzTouch proof of concept for iBeacons. I can get my iPhone to transmit the UUID, but it won't pick up. (I can get my iPhone to pick up that same UUID using other apps, so its not the bluetooth on my phone.) Plugin instructions followed, extra code inserted as instructed. Latest iOS, Xcode etc BuzzTouch hosted. Any ideas? Anyone else having success with this?

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
04/04/14 01:42 AM (10 years ago)
No errors? Remember, you have to have another app (or the same app) with that plugin on another bluetooth 4.0 phone and it must be sending an iBeacon in order for your original phone to receive it. David Van Beveren https://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT Members live!

LevensGardener
Aspiring developer
Kendal
04/04/14 02:33 AM (10 years ago)
No errors. 28 issues, mostly deprecations. My test app builds OK. It only has the one plugin leading off a menu simple. I'm transmitting the beacon with same UUID (copy and pasted) from my mac (I only have one iPhone on which to run your buzz touch plugin in detect mode). The mac is transmitting the beacon fine as it is being picked up by other iBeacon detecting apps. As I say, your plugin is transmitting OK. I can pick up the beacon when I use my mac to detect. My test app just sits on the monitoring screen, however close you get to the source beacon. debugger shows- 2014-04-03 07:32:21.323 beaconer[184:60b] Now monitoring iBeacon signal. Use another device with the same app that is running on iBeacon Mode. Surely this should pick up an iBeacon with correct UUID from whatever the source? Any thoughts? Thanks... Chris

LevensGardener
Aspiring developer
Kendal
04/05/14 12:16 AM (10 years ago)
This issue might be a clue: Line 285 in BTM_LocationManager.m Format String Issue Data argument not used by format string - (void)locationManager:(CLLocationManager *)manager didStartMonitoringForRegion:(CLRegion *)region { // fire notification of region monitoring [self fireUpdateNotificationForStatus:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"Now monitoring iBeacon signal. Use another device with the same app that is running on iBeacon Mode. ",((CLBeaconRegion*)region).identifier]]; } That is the message left on the screen when the app gets no further...

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
04/05/14 12:37 AM (10 years ago)
I'm not sure I understand. If you have the same app with the same plugin installed on two phones, each one should be able to receive and send from each other. I'm not sure how it would interact using a MAC to transmit or receive, I could see issues arising as it's not meant for that. I downloaded a fresh copy from the market into a fresh app and all looks OK on my end, receive and send, but I'm using two phones (4S and 5). David Van Beveren https://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT Members live!

LevensGardener
Aspiring developer
Kendal
04/05/14 01:14 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Mr David for getting back to me - I do appreciate that. I am pleased that its working for you using the plugin in two iPhones. Unfortunately, I only have the one iPhone so I have had to work around that. When I transmit that identical BlueTooth UUID from either my Mac or iPad, other beacon apps are picking it up just fine. The BlueTooth UUID should surely work the same wherever it is from. I'll download a fresh copy and make up another test app... Thanks again for sticking with me on this one. Chris

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
04/05/14 01:19 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Chris, No problem! I don't think you understand, it's designed to literally only send and receive with the same plugin (or app with the same plugin, to be more correct) so using third party receivers and senders are not really supported just yet. This is to show the power of beacons, and perhaps make use of it in some retrospect. Hope this helps. David Van Beveren https://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT Members live!

LevensGardener
Aspiring developer
Kendal
04/05/14 01:25 AM (10 years ago)
OK. So more a proof of concept. It has been interesting looking through to see where the code fits. Looking forward to your 1.1 update with more functionality ? :) Thanks again. Chris

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
04/05/14 01:32 AM (10 years ago)
Yes, updates to come, but this is very new tech so dont expect them too soon! :-) Sorry, and hope you have enjoyed it thus far.. David Van Beveren https://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT Members live!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.