AuthorAl
Lost but trying
Reg: Dec 31, 2013
Glasgow
02/24/14 05:06 AM (10 years ago)

App versions - age old question...

Hi, I have spent a while trying to do an app, i.e. linking up various screens, etc. then decided to join as a member and purchase various plugins - such as the Menu Image Advanced. Now, my original 'messing about app' screens are redundant as I want to rebuild the app using just my new lovely shiny plugins. I would love to be able to shunt everything I've done into a folder and start again with the same app title but use new screens/plugins. At the moment all I feel I can do is delete my current 'mess about app' and start again. I suppose I am asking a question about app versions, but I know that the control panel doesn't support that. Easiest is to create a new app with a slightly diff name and delete the original... Any thoughts? Al

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
02/24/14 05:13 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Al, Depending on how large your app has gotten, it might be easier to keep the same project name, and just recreate one screen at a time. For example, if duplicating screen1... lets call it photos... make a new screen named photos1, with your "shiny new plugins". When you are happy with it, delete the original photos screen, and then go in and rename the photos1 screen back to photos. When you delete a screen however, any other screens that linked to it as a child item will delete it out of the control panel, so you'll have to go back into those parent screens and link up the "photos" screen again. I've done it that way a couple of times when I was first learning buzztouch. I still do it in my workflow now when I want to test 2 or 3 different versions of the same screen with different plugins... I just make several versions, then save the one I like best and delete the other 1 or 2 that I made. I also did it your way before, where I just nuked it and started over, so it's pretty much up to you, and what you are most comfortable with.

AuthorAl
Lost but trying
Reg: Dec 31, 2013
Glasgow
02/24/14 05:15 AM (10 years ago)
Thank you Angry Ninja, personally I didn't find that reply Angry at all, just very helpful and reasonable. You're obviously having a good day ;) Cheers Al

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
02/24/14 05:27 AM (10 years ago)
lol. I actually had my very fist app customer give me that name... before the days of Buzztouch. Back then I was acting as a middle man... I'd find people that wanted an app made, get a quote from coders in india, add a fair markup, and sell them apps that way, without lifting a finger as far as coding. The very first app I delivered, he told me on the phone "WOW! You tackled that project like a swarm of angry ninjas!", lol. It stuck with me, and I ended up naming my company "Angry Ninja Development". (angryninjas.com) Since then, I've branched out into lots of other things... mobile app development, custom slot machine themes, digital magazines, etc... had some big name clients (actor Bryan Cranson, Maxim, Sirius/XM radio, and others) but all under the "Angry Ninja Development" name. :) I think a lot of people don't realize the screen name is based off my company name, and probably think I'm a rude guy, lol

Jennyapps
I hate code!
Reg: Jun 12, 2011
Tasmania, Austr...
02/24/14 01:56 PM (10 years ago)
Hi gang! A bit like me! My company is Jennyapps - Jenny was my late Mother who never got to see me start the company but always gave me supprt to do so... Anyway I always know spam emails because they always start with "Dear Jenny".. lol.. Terry

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.