Discussion Forums  >  BT.com Website, Account Questions

Replies: 4    Views: 94

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
12/14/12 10:17 AM (11 years ago)

ATTN: Buzztouch Message Spam?

I think someone might be messaging us that is completely not to do with app development. I recently came across this weird message asking for a relationship. This is how the message went: ([email protected]) I am Miss Doris, 22 years of age,single(never married). I am beautiful and self assured girl with a huge sense of humor.I am sincere, honest,educated,romantic,faithful,kind,caring. l just saw your profile and became interested in knowing you more,l will be happy if you reach me(dorisbenzebi @ gmail . com)so that i will tell you all about me and also send my pictures to you. looking forward to hear from you soon. Your friend . Miss Doris This was sent from an anonymous account so no account was created by this person. I am just a bit concerned about these types of messages going around Buzztouch. Of course, I'll just ignore this one but are you guys getting these weird messages. I'll keep this one in my inbox if anyone wants to find out more about this.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/14/12 10:20 AM (11 years ago)

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
12/14/12 10:26 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks! That explains it all.

Paul Davis
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 11, 2012
United Kingdom
12/15/12 09:30 AM (11 years ago)
My first post! I used to work in Oxford at the Mitre in my youth! I thought this sort of post and those who post them were long gone. But it appears not. I run a message board associated with one of my web sites and to avoid these posts I do not allow people to join a forum until I have a valid working email address I can verify. (so no gmail, hotmail etc unless they contain a valid name attached to an address I can verify) This tends to get rid of the " luv you long time 5 dollah" type of post, the downside is it takes time to verify every request to join. I suppose as long as people click on links and/or respond to this type of post, the practice will proliferate.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
12/15/12 11:04 AM (11 years ago)
Hi @Paul Davis and welcome from the UK. Yup, email addresses are required to participate and we do the best we can to validate them before allowing any posts. In some cases (it's been a few times in the last few years) folks register, validate their email address then take advantage of the Send Private Message option. In each of the cases this has happened...we've removed the users account (on our end) and moved on. For sure it's no fun for us or our community members when this sorts of thing happens but I don't think we'll ever get rid of 100% of it. Bummer. Cheers from Monterey CA

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.