Discussion Forums  >  Config Data, JSON, App Refresh

Replies: 4    Views: 121

vDesjardins
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 13, 2012
Paris, France
03/24/13 06:22 PM (11 years ago)

Am i doing wrong ?

Hello, I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong... I started a new app and I wanted to be sure ervything was ok, and i wouldn't make any mistake. So i created a single menu with a single item, linking to nothing. Then I downloaded the source and imported it into eclipse. I ran the project and it worked fine. Then I started adding a new item to the 1st menu, and I ran the app on the emulator. I got a message saying the app had been updated. I clicked on ok and... There was no change to the app... I thought it would be a good idea to proceed step by step, but I don't know... The app isn't supposed to update automatically, when I work into bt ? Or do I have to download the code everytime I make a change ? What am i doing wrong ?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/24/13 06:37 PM (11 years ago)
Hi, You're on the right track for sure! It should be working exactly as you described. So, there must be something amiss. When you say you added a new item to the first menu, did you create the actual screen for that item as well? It's not enough to just add the name to the menu list...there has to be a screen attached as well. Using LogCat is a great way to figure out what's going on as well. Anything in there that could help? Mark

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
Reg: May 30, 2011
UK
03/24/13 07:02 PM (11 years ago)
I've found (on self hosted) that when I hit 'save' on anything in the control panel, the app prompts to refresh even if 'Publish changes' hasn't been saved (red). Result - A prompt to refresh but no change of data. Which sort of defeats the purpose of design/live mode. BTW, I also get a prompt to refresh on first load even when everything is synced and running correctly. I (appear to have) solved this by commenting out: //create a pretend lastModifiedDate file if one does not exist yet... if(!BT_fileManager.doesCachedFileExist(appname_appDelegate.cachedConfigModifiedFileName)){ BT_fileManager.saveTextFileToCache("{this is a pretend date}", appname_appDelegate.cachedConfigModifiedFileName); } in the BT_activity_base.java file. So, no, I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

vDesjardins
Code is Art
Paris, France
03/26/13 03:47 PM (11 years ago)
First I added only the menu with no screen at all. But that's when I downloaded the file and imported the project into eclipse. Then I returned to BT and added a screen linked to the 1st menu item, as well as other menu items linked to other screens. But when I refresh the app, my changes are not applied in the simulator... I just ran eclipse again, and ran my app in it, and I still have my main menu with one single item and nothing more. I kept a log file from logcat, but I'm not sure if I can copy / paste it here... It's pretty big. I hope you'll be able to help me, I was so glad to start again, and I'm stuck at the beginning... Very frustrating and worrying for the future...

vDesjardins
Code is Art
Paris, France
03/30/13 04:34 PM (11 years ago)
As it's not working, I'll have to download the code again. But what do I have to do with the new files ? Do I have to overwrite the older ones with the new downloaded files ? Or do I have to start a brand new project ?

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.