Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 58    Views: 285

Dragon007
Lost but trying
Reg: Dec 17, 2011
London
12/31/14 05:44 AM (9 years ago)

Is There a Simple Guide to Adding Parse Push to Android?

Hi Guys apologies for going over old ground with this topic, but its truly become a real pain in the a**. All I would love to have is a very simple, straight forward guide to adding Parse Push Notification to my Android App. There are a number of guides, but some are too old to use and some are extremely vague and assume that those reading the guide, know Android inside out. I'm not a coder, especially for Android, but its becoming very frustrating, when I'm told to follow Parse integration on their site, but it still doesn't work. Can anyone help make this process less complicated, I would really appreciate it. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
12/31/14 06:07 AM (9 years ago)
Does anyone know what is happening here: PushService.setDefaultPushCallback(this, (Class<? extends Activity>) YourActivity.class); ParseInstallation.getCurrentInstallation().saveInBackground(); Line: setDefaultPushCallback (is crossed out) Lines: PushService.................................(this, (Class<? extends Activity>) YourActivity.class); ParseInstallation.getCurrentInstallation().saveInBackground(); (rest of the code has a red line under it) Just don't know how to fix this issue.

Worker73
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 06, 2012
Austria, Klagen...
12/31/14 08:39 AM (9 years ago)
Also looking for an working HowTo for Parse... ;-(

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
12/31/14 08:49 AM (9 years ago)
Hang in there buddy, I'm certain someone will come to our aid.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
12/31/14 06:18 PM (9 years ago)

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/01/15 01:18 AM (9 years ago)
Hi CMCOFFEE The link you posted is for Scringo integration and not Parse Push Notification, which is what I need. Thanks, but I'm sure it will help someone, even though Scringo have discontinued their services.

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/01/15 07:58 AM (9 years ago)
Any news? ;-)

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/01/15 08:16 AM (9 years ago)
None!

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
01/01/15 03:08 PM (9 years ago)
Also parse.read it further down

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/02/15 01:55 AM (9 years ago)
@CMCOFFE: There is no detailed information in there ;-((( On my Samsung Device the App Chrashes with Parse on StartUp... Does anybody knows where to Change the Code?

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/05/15 05:20 AM (9 years ago)
This is the issue I am stuck on and don't know how to fix, can anyone help with this? Error reads: 'Cannot cast from Class<YourActivity> to Class<? extends Activity> brightmind_appDelegate.java /brightmind/src/com/brightmind

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/05/15 05:27 AM (9 years ago)
Hi CMCOFFEE I read the link to the thread you added, went further down the page, but there isn't any info on how to add the Parse PN, as you had mentioned that I should do a search for adding Parse. But there wasn't any info that helped. What was it that I am suppose to see in the link you posted?

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
01/05/15 04:22 PM (9 years ago)
Oh that rburns50 said that he made a doc on how to do it.I figured out how to do it but I never made a doc .Ill make one.I just have to look back at the app and figure out the steps I took

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/06/15 12:56 AM (9 years ago)
@CMCOFFEE: Fantastic, Thanks ;-)

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/07/15 04:03 AM (9 years ago)
we patiently wait! Please hurry, lol!

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/07/15 05:13 AM (9 years ago)
@Dragon007:My App is ready to launch. .. only Parse is missing ;-)

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/07/15 07:12 AM (9 years ago)
Same here :)

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
01/07/15 10:49 PM (9 years ago)
ok its pretty simple. of course first you create your new app on parse then click push,then android,then quick start guide. download the sdk.unzip the sdk.drag the parse-1.8.0.jar and the bolts.jar in the libs folder. go back to the quick start guide on parse.they have a line of code that they want you to paste in oncreate that looks like this: Parse.initialize(this, "GdDtDQebZSmNzkxIPECWn9Dh6DL2VaGTMRNqXv86", "PsTffUN5S1lFFQNb6LzwQFgcCzFM5GbawTW7sqCY"); you paste that in oncreate in the yourAppName_appDelegate.java file right before the closing curly brace as so: ********************************************************************************* ********************************************************************************* BT_activity_root loads here. It's the starting activity (see AndroidManifest.xml) ********************************************************************************* ********************************************************************************* */ Parse.initialize(this, "GdDtDQebZSmNzkxIPECWn9Dh6DL2VaGTMRNqXv86", "PsTffUN5S1lFFQNb6LzwQFgcCzFM5GbawTW7sqCY"); ParsePush.subscribeInBackground("", new SaveCallback() { public void done(ParseException e) { if (e != null) { Log.d("com.parse.push", "successfully subscribed to the broadcast channel."); } else { Log.e("com.parse.push", "failed to subscribe for push", e); } } @Override public void done(com.parse.ParseException arg0) { // TODO Auto-generated method stub } }); ParseInstallation.getCurrentInstallation().saveInBackground(); PushService.setDefaultPushCallback(this, BT_activity_host.class); ------------- next go to your Bt_activity_host.java file and in onCreate method right under configure enviroment copy and paste this: ParseInstallation.getCurrentInstallation().saveInBackground(); PushService.setDefaultPushCallback(this, BT_activity_host.class); ------------ usually it imports the import statements for you but if it gives you errors paste this with your other import statements import com.parse.Parse; import com.parse.ParseInstallation; import com.parse.ParsePush; import com.parse.PushService; import com.parse.SaveCallback; ------------------ next download this file and add it with the rest of your java files in your project(drag and drop on the little brown square box,which is under src folder): https://www.dropbox.com/s/lflbufpqu85ujyp/Receiver.java?dl=0 next open this file and you will notice an error on the package name.fix it to match your app:com.yourAppName(this will have to be in all lower case: com.yourappname) ----------------------------------------- next go to your manifest.xml file and paste this right before your ending application tag, i.e., </application> notice the parts that say com.yourAppName and change it to fit your app(in all lowercase of course). on the one of the receiver and category tags <service android:name="com.parse.PushService" /> <receiver android:name="com.parse.ParseBroadcastReceiver"> <intent-filter> <action android:name="android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED" /> <action android:name="android.intent.action.USER_PRESENT" /> </intent-filter> </receiver> <receiver android:name="com.yourAppName.Receiver" android:exported="false"> <intent-filter> <action android:name="com.parse.push.intent.RECEIVE" /> <action android:name="com.parse.push.intent.DELETE" /> <action android:name="com.parse.push.intent.OPEN" /> </intent-filter> </receiver> <receiver android:name="com.parse.GcmBroadcastReceiver" android:permission="com.google.android.c2dm.permission.SEND"> <intent-filter> <action android:name="com.google.android.c2dm.intent.RECEIVE" /> <action android:name="com.google.android.c2dm.intent.REGISTRATION" /> <!-- IMPORTANT: Change "com.parse.starter" to match your app's package name. --> <category android:name="com.yourAppName" /> </intent-filter> </receiver> -------------- now go to Project > clean.now run your app so it can register with Parse.now just send your message Ill make an actual doc later.Im super tired.was up all night working on my new android favorites plugin. you might need that to make your app complete too :) ..just saying let me know if yall run into any problems

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/08/15 12:50 AM (9 years ago)
Hey MCCOFFEE.... Many, many Thanks.... Works (With a little Modifikation)... At first i got Errors on the "log-Things" .. -------- Parse.initialize(this, "GdDtDQebZSmNzkxIPECWn9Dh6DL2VaGTMRNqXv86", "PsTffUN5S1lFFQNb6LzwQFgcCzFM5GbawTW7sqCY"); ParsePush.subscribeInBackground("", new SaveCallback() { public void done(ParseException e) { if (e != null) { Log.d("com.parse.push", "successfully subscribed to the broadcast channel."); } else { Log.e("com.parse.push", "failed to subscribe for push", e); } } @Override public void done(com.parse.ParseException arg0) { // TODO Auto-generated method stub ---- I modified it to: ------ Parse.initialize(this, "ApplicationID", "ClientKey"); ParsePush.subscribeInBackground("", new SaveCallback() { @Override public void done(com.parse.ParseException arg0) { // TODO Auto-generated method stub ------ Any Solution? Many Thanks....

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/08/15 03:01 AM (9 years ago)
CMCOFFEE you are a G! Although haven't had the chance to implement, which I will do at some point today/tomorrow, the fact that Worker73, has it working, is very encouraging. So massive thanks for taking the time to test and then to post your results and how to implement. If we ever meet, I'll a large JD & Coke (Coca Cola that is), lol!

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 03:38 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Guys I'm still having problems, cannot seem to get this implemented. My appDelegete has a number of errors next to the code I added: Parse.initialize(this, "4C4ns94ta5TkdutCI6E36ju4pwwIKBk50SLgSLxB", "f6rYKJ1tLsFhYBMtpy7lkCmcLgaqcQR397IsUwoZ"); ParsePush.subscribeInBackground("", new SaveCallback() { public void done(ParseException e) { if (e != null) { Log.d("com.parse.push", "successfully subscribed to the broadcast channel."); } else { Log.e("com.parse.push", "failed to subscribe for push", e); } } @Override public void done(com.parse.ParseException arg0) { // TODO Auto-generated method stub } }); ParseInstallation.getCurrentInstallation().saveInBackground(); PushService.setDefaultPushCallback(this, BT_activity_host.class); I just don't know what I have done wrong. I have followed CMCOFFEE's guide, it doesn't work for me. Any help?

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 03:41 AM (9 years ago)
Do I need to add the parse import to my appdelegate file?

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 03:51 AM (9 years ago)
Is the guide to implement for BT 3.0?

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 04:02 AM (9 years ago)
The Problems are the Lines with "Log" .... Just take a look on my Code what i have modified für the appDelegate... And Yes... its for the BT 3.0 Hosted....

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 04:18 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Worker thanks for getting back to me. I have tried your modification but I still had errors. Completely lost.

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 04:27 AM (9 years ago)
Can you create a screen shot of your appdelegate file, as I cannot resolve this issue.

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 04:28 AM (9 years ago)
My Code.... YourAppName_appDelegate.java... From Line 127 - 149 /* ********************************************************************************* ********************************************************************************* BT_activity_root loads here. It's the starting activity (see AndroidManifest.xml) ********************************************************************************* ********************************************************************************* */ Parse.initialize(this, "YourAppID", YourClientID"); ParsePush.subscribeInBackground("", new SaveCallback() { @Override public void done(com.parse.ParseException arg0) { // TODO Auto-generated method stub } }); ParseInstallation.getCurrentInstallation().saveInBackground(); PushService.setDefaultPushCallback(this, BT_activity_host.class); } //onLowMemory...

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 04:30 AM (9 years ago)
You ALSO need the IMPORT Statements (MCCOFFEE forgot that in the HowTo ;-) ) for Parse.... Just around Line 41 insert: import com.parse.Parse; import com.parse.ParseException; import com.parse.ParseInstallation; import com.parse.ParsePush; import com.parse.PushService; import com.parse.SaveCallback;

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 04:34 AM (9 years ago)
In the BT_activity_host.java insert from Line 110 > 140 ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// //Activity life cycle events. //onCreate @Override public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState){ super.onCreate(savedInstanceState); BT_debugger.showIt(activityName + ":onCreate"); //must explicitly ask for an action bar on some devices... getWindow().requestFeature(Window.FEATURE_ACTION_BAR); //setup the android action bar with a custom view for the title text... actionBar = getActionBar(); actionBar.setDisplayOptions(ActionBar.DISPLAY_SHOW_TITLE, ActionBar.DISPLAY_USE_LOGO); actionBar.setDisplayShowTitleEnabled(true); actionBar.setDisplayUseLogoEnabled(true); actionBar.setDisplayHomeAsUpEnabled(false); actionBar.setTitle(getString(R.string.loading)); //inflate the bt_activity_host.xml for the content view... setContentView(R.layout.bt_activity_host); //configure the app's environment... configureEnvironment(); ParseInstallation.getCurrentInstallation().saveInBackground(); PushService.setDefaultPushCallback(this, BT_activity_host.class); } //onStart

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 04:34 AM (9 years ago)
is this in my appdelegate or both the appdelegate and the BT_activity_host.java as well?

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 04:35 AM (9 years ago)
And also import in the Headesection: import com.parse.Parse; import com.parse.ParseInstallation; import com.parse.ParsePush; import com.parse.PushService; import com.parse.SaveCallback;

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 04:38 AM (9 years ago)
Dont forget to make an Clean.... In the AndroidManifest.xml.... You Only need to insert the Code (Nothing to Delete ;-) ). above the Ending //application... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <service android:name="com.parse.PushService" /> <receiver android:name="com.parse.ParseBroadcastReceiver"> <intent-filter> <action android:name="android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED" /> <action android:name="android.intent.action.USER_PRESENT" /> </intent-filter> </receiver> <receiver android:name="com.YOURAPPNAME.Receiver" android:exported="false"> <intent-filter> <action android:name="com.parse.push.intent.RECEIVE" /> <action android:name="com.parse.push.intent.DELETE" /> <action android:name="com.parse.push.intent.OPEN" /> </intent-filter> </receiver> <receiver android:name="com.parse.GcmBroadcastReceiver" android:permission="com.google.android.c2dm.permission.SEND"> <intent-filter> <action android:name="com.google.android.c2dm.intent.RECEIVE" /> <action android:name="com.google.android.c2dm.intent.REGISTRATION" /> <!-- IMPORTANT: Change "com.parse.starter" to match your app's package name. --> <category android:name="com.YOURAPPNAME" /> </intent-filter> </receiver> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DONT FORGET TO CHANGE THE TWO LINES WITH "YOURAPPNAME" that it "fit's" to your Appname ;-) Make a CLEAN and Run the App....

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 04:39 AM (9 years ago)
Sorry Worker is the import: import com.parse.Parse; import com.parse.ParseInstallation; import com.parse.ParsePush; import com.parse.PushService; import com.parse.SaveCallback; suppose to be added to just the appdelegate or the BT_activiy_host.jave or both?

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 04:40 AM (9 years ago)
Just Read Again the Steps.... One Code goes to the YourAppName_appDelegate.java, one goes to the "BT_activity_host.java" and one final Code to the "AndroidManifest.xml" ...

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 04:43 AM (9 years ago)
The IMPORT STATEMENT goes to BOTH JAVA Files.... "YourAppName_appDelegate.java" AND "BT_activity_host.java" ;-) Just like i sayd above ;-) Please read carefuly & slow my instructions ;-)

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 04:44 AM (9 years ago)
DONT Enter the IMPORT Code to the "AndroidManifest.xml" ;-)

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 04:58 AM (9 years ago)
OK, I have no errors now. Please bare with me, I'm not good with Android, don't enjoy developing Android apps. Also I do appreciate the help, but your comment: The IMPORT STATEMENT goes to BOTH JAVA Files.... "YourAppName_appDelegate.java" AND "BT_activity_host.java" ;-) Just like i sayd above ;-) Please read carefuly & slow my instructions ;-) It doesn't mention above anywhere to add the import to both java files, as CMCOFFEE says to add only to the activity_host.java file only and you had mentioned to add import to the appdelegate only. Either of you had said to add import to both java files. Again, I don't want to sound ungrateful, but this part had me confused. I apologise if I have ofended you in anyway. I'm about to test my app, fingers crossed. Thank you so much, I appreciate the time you ahve taken out to help me.

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 05:02 AM (9 years ago)
Hey Dragon007... Iam just Joking.... All okay... Some People dont undestand my Humor (What maybe dipenced on my really BAD English *grin*)..... MCCOFFEE: Forgot to says in his HowTo that you must Import in Both Files... I writed before the he Forgot it ;-) I Hope now all runs and greatings from Austria ;-)

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 05:58 AM (9 years ago)
OK, I have no errors now. Please bare with me, I'm not good with Android, don't enjoy developing Android apps. Also I do appreciate the help, but your comment: The IMPORT STATEMENT goes to BOTH JAVA Files.... "YourAppName_appDelegate.java" AND "BT_activity_host.java" ;-) Just like i sayd above ;-) Please read carefuly & slow my instructions ;-) It doesn't mention above anywhere to add the import to both java files, as CMCOFFEE says to add only to the activity_host.java file only and you had mentioned to add import to the appdelegate only. Either of you had said to add import to both java files. Again, I don't want to sound ungrateful, but this part had me confused. I apologise if I have ofended you in anyway. I'm about to test my app, fingers crossed. Thank you so much, I appreciate the time you ahve taken out to help me.

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 06:01 AM (9 years ago)
Still having issues. My app now crashes on launch of my android app. If I take out Parse it works fine, but as soon as I add Parse into my app it crashes. Having a bad day. Hate Android with a passion.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
01/09/15 06:24 AM (9 years ago)
Yea you probably have import log statement.on any code that starts with capital letter put your mouse over it and choose the add import suggestion. Try projct > clean and make sure project selected.then try again. What does the log cat say when crashing?

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 06:37 AM (9 years ago)
I've decided to delete everything and start again, by downloading project files again. Will let you know how I get on. I have already downloaded and tested app without Parse and it works fine, so about to add Parse into project again. Will see!

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 06:46 AM (9 years ago)
Question: In this piece of code: ParseInstallation.getCurrentInstallation().saveInBackground(); PushService.setDefaultPushCallback(this, BT_activity_host.class); the line 'setDefaultPushCallback' is crossed out, should it be like this?

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 06:59 AM (9 years ago)
Major breakthrough. I've added the Parse, my app actually loads and doesn't crash. I've clicked the test button in the quick setup in Parse and it says, I'm connected. However, when I launch the app it says "There is a problem connecting to Google services' and I don't receive any push. LOST YET AGAIN! One step forward and 5 back.

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 07:25 AM (9 years ago)
Should I be setting my target to either Android or Google API?

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 07:30 AM (9 years ago)
Is there anywhere else other than the manifest.xml file where I would need to add my GCM project number?

Worker73
Android Fan
Austria, Klagen...
01/09/15 07:39 AM (9 years ago)
With Parse you DONT NEED an GCM Number. I think that's your Problem...

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 08:38 AM (9 years ago)
Confused! So what do I do? Do I need to delete some code from the project? Also I'm still not receiving my push even though I'm connected to Parse and my device is registerrd.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
01/09/15 09:10 AM (9 years ago)
Yea you don't need to enable push on the control panel.parse does use gcm but they use their own ids,etc.its pk that its crossed out.depending on the type of device you have it might not show.use the blue stacks.com ulator to test the push.create a new app on parse and try using that id and if it let's ypu send push then the device registered.also that "log" code is for the log cat and shows if your device was registered

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 09:41 AM (9 years ago)
I'm seriously having a bad day. Now my app crashes on launch again. This has become a very bad nightmare.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
01/09/15 11:32 AM (9 years ago)
send me your app and ill fix it for you.pm the link

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 11:47 AM (9 years ago)
sent you PM

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 12:14 PM (9 years ago)
Sorry, just realised you asked me to send you a link, will do this now.

Dragon007
Lost but trying
London
01/09/15 12:24 PM (9 years ago)
I have sent you a link to download the project. Thanks!

MichM
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 08, 2015
California
02/19/15 07:30 PM (9 years ago)
Any update with this? Im hoping to implement Parse on Android too.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
02/19/15 07:36 PM (9 years ago)
just follow the directions above and it works.also check this post out to help you with implementing it in case you run into similar problems: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=EDB98F6DAD4588E06FF318C&currentPage=1

MichM
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 08, 2015
California
02/19/15 10:15 PM (9 years ago)
Thank you!

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
03/15/15 08:44 AM (9 years ago)
Parse works flawlessly on new bt android studio package, just by following parse online instructions. No extra steps needed. Just take out one of the receivers in the manifest

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
05/18/15 08:27 AM (8 years ago)
Hey guys. This thread refers to push for BT Android 2.0 or BT Android 3.0 ? Confusing ;)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.