Discussion Forums  >  Suggestions, Ideas, Wish List

Replies: 17    Views: 354

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
11/15/13 07:36 PM (10 years ago)

Make Money Building Apps : Phase 01

Happy Friday All. As promised I'm going to share with you guys, how I'm generating revenue with little or no effort. 3 revenue sources to get you rolling and not have to bank on in App advertising. Nothing against mobile Ads, for me earning real immediate income vs the prospect of generating less and having to get more viewers cost per impression cost per click. It's too competitive. I think. Unless you do freemium with inApp Purchases, again Apple takes money there. So I'll call this: Phase One prepping the client for the App World. ----------------- The selling point for me starts with the App Icon, you can find templates online to create the same layout I use to convince my clients they can expand their brand beyond social media and their own website. When they see the visual they all get excited and even proud if not anxious to get started. In their mind they think this is going to cost them hundreds if not thousands. That's why depending on your skill sets, will ultimately determine your price point and what you are able to deliver to meet the client's expectations. Here's my resource for my App Icon Mockups for iOS 6, iOS 7, and Android. http://appicontemplate.com/ (free download) Here's my client's mockup edited with my company's logo and client info. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6fm6iiysklpezxa/S0WP-zZDzF Put as much effort in the design of the App Icon, too generic or amateurish won't get you prices you want to command when building out their App plus referrals. Again this is the mockup phase so even if it's just their logo, they need to see that starting point. The more professional it looks, the easier the sell. No one likes to get sold to, let them make the decision, no hard pitches, just offer them your vision and what the possibilities are for them. ------------------ Revenue Source #1. (App Hosting - monthly residual income) So now that I'm doing apps, I told all my current clients over 50+ accounts that I can self host their app via my (buzztouch self hosted server-white label it to your company) where they can do push notifications, etc. > 1 platform $4.99/month both iOS and Android $9.99/month. which like the competition seems to be the average. I only marketed to 40 of my clients I built websites for that all wanted their own App but researched themselves was just too expensive. Plus I have all the content I need to get started. > Immediate revenue (40 clients x $9.99/month = $399.60) Their response was "$9.99/month to host my App, that's all?" My response, "Unless you want to pay me more, sure I'll take more,lol" ------------------ Revenue Source #2. (Landing Page Hosting - one time commissions) I have my own dedicated server where I would charge my clients monthly for web hosting. Anywhere from $9.99/month to $19.99/month for bigger sites. Sooner or later dedicated servers need to get upgraded, never an issue, but all it takes is one client site on your server to cause issues for others. So when I saw how profitable hostgator's affiliate plan is, I was like dam. http://www.hostgator.com/affiliates (research any hosting company more than likely they all have affiliate programs) Affiliate marketers with blog sites almost always have their affiliate hosting banner, usually bundled with a one click wordpress install, start your blog today, yada yada. You can see in my affiliate screenshot below, I did a wordpress camp signed had 17 of my students sign up got $1700 bucks on $100/signup for having 11-20 signed in june of 2012, not bad. Here's a huge income opportunity, I'll outline what I'm doing with my clients that want to accessorize their website with an app. Step 1. I tell my client that their app needs its own landing page where it describes the apps functions along with screenshots highlighting features plus it has a link to both appstore and googleplay, and a scan-able qr code. Here's a google search for samples: http://bit.ly/1dAWWzK choose a template that you feel comfortable with in terms of customizing. most landing page templates are html5 and less then $10 bucks so if you are coming to invest in one to use for all your clients, choose what's versatile. (some may say well just add a page to my existing site or a subdomain, cool you can do that too) But for analytic purposes I tell them let's come up with a cool name for the app and secure the domain. (ie. edisanappreneur.com) Step 2. Find a Godaddy coupon code that for new .com's its only $1.99 or anything that is substantially lower then their base price of $11+, never pay full retail when there's coupons available online. My Resource for $1.99 coupons http://scottsigler.com/godaddy-promo-codes/ There are others like Retailmenot or Fatwallet, use what works. (So I tell my client to make the domain purchase for their new app landing page - get their godaddy login so you can point the nameservers to their new hosting account once you setup their hosting) Step 3. Signup for an affiliate account (free) with hostgator to access your control panel and generate a coupon code. http://www.hostgator.com/affiliates (the most profitable payouts I know that works for me) Example (10. myappcoupon <-use your own or you can use this and I'll give you a big Thank You! Heck you make money, I'm just here to guide you) Follow this screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeqgfegd44r9qrj/Hostgator%20Affiliate%20Coupon%20Code%20Generator.png * It's important that you generate a coupon code that's $9.94 off. not 25% off. Here's why, the cheapest hosting account per month is Hostgator's Hatchling Plan at $7.16/monthly - if I tell my client, hey follow this link (hostgators order now page, delete hostgator's 20% coupon code, replace it with yours $9.94 off, enter the domain we just purchased from godaddy, choose per month billing, deselect all other upgrade offers, choose 1 year plan so now the bill is $7.16 per month, minus your $9.94 off the final charge to the client for their first month is 1 cent. Why a penny, is because hostgator needs to validate your card or paypal account so it can rebill next month for $7.16. Follow this screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p77wnxmm77xy9vd/Hostgator%20Basic%20Hosting%20Checkout%20Page.png !!!! 2 Important must do, in order to maximize your commission. !!!! 1. the client must not have previously had or has an existing account with hostgator in the past, only good for new accounts. Plus they have to do it from their own location, hostgator tracks new account user's ip address. So when I first migrated my clients off my server and had them host themselves, doing it from my computer for them, I only made 1 commission from the 10 I signed up. UGH! 2. Payouts, If I setup a client anytime this month I will get paid after they pay at least two billing cycles, just in case they want to cancel early, you won't get any commission. What I do, is that I tell them to prepay 3 months, or the whole year, at least they got 1 month $9.94 discount (if that's the case just change from $7.16 monthly to whatever). They were all cool with at least the 3 month, this way you're guaranteed that hosting commission. So I told them I'm having a Thanksgiving Special, to get their app ready for xmas, new years launch or any time you feel comfortable in your production schedule. Here's whats happening for me. - November (signup = free month or 1 cent) - Dec 2013 (pay hostgator $7.16) - Jan 2014 (pay hostgator $7.16) - Feb 2014 (hostgator deposits a payment to your paypal account for however many signed up during the month of November you need at least 2 to get paid the minimum of $100.00) They always pay out on schedule. Since I made the choice to dive into the app development market I already pitched this to 40 of my 60 clients, and also based on my first Buzztouch app and mockups I did in photoshop, they were all excited. https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvu6qn96eolu5vq/BuzztouchPlugIns.jpg Hostgator Pays for 21+ new accounts = $125/signup) my commission check for February on 40 today will be $5000. The wifey is gonna have a great Valentines day! Maybe a trip to Monterey Bay BT HQ, Rent out a boat. > Post revenue (40 clients x $125 = $5000) Your results will vary. ------------------ Revenue Source #3. (Landing Page Build Out - One time) For me I'll invest in several landing page template at less than $10, it will be well worth it that the client can have choices. Use your own images in the mockup, maybe QR codes to existing Apps, etc. Makes you look established when you have all these tools in place, because this is the crucial part of the marketing and where you want to drive traffic too. It will offer up more info then the app store screenshots and descriptions. If you're not comfortable doing this part yourself, there's plenty of seasoned individuals in our community, that can use the work/experience, etc. I tell my client now that we have the domain, hosting, time to build out the landing page. the sweet spot for me is anywhere between $39.99 to $69.99. My clients value my time and I'm able to charge $80.00 to design their landing page and tell them I'll throw in their App Icon. Sold separately I'd charge $40+. Seems reasonable to them when Photoshoppers charge $60/hr average. So they feel they are getting a great deal. The AppIcongenerator was free and gives you 3 OS icons, template say $8.00, my net on $80 is $72/ per landing page. > Immediate revenue (40 clients x $72 = $2880.00) ================================================== TO SUM THIS UP: 3 weeks into Buzztouch, I've got $8279.60 guaranteed. (individual results may vary, no animals were harmed during this process, no hablo espanol) just kidding. Start with your existing client base like me. My overall strategy is to not launch one app at a time but to launch a handfull so from the get go I'll look like I have a hefty portfolio which brings credibility. Also within every app I incorporate a developer button that links to my other works, so if its a celebrity app, I have somewhere non obtrusive a screen that suggest similar apps I created. Thus creating my App Network of sorts. Seriously: Even if you are waiting for v3 to come out, clients will understand that App development is a long process, but you can start on their Android App already. I always make the client feel they are part of this process, because once they understand what goes into building their App they become my best lead generation tool/asset. This is just the beginning. The real money is the App Development cost which I'll outline in Making Money Building Apps : Phase 02 Hope you guys find this useful, and get you energized. Or Ed you're nuts! This works for me in all other aspects I do for my production company, and it's just me. For now. Thanks David and Team Buzztouch! Ed Reyes

Absentia
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Alaska
11/15/13 07:50 PM (10 years ago)
Wow! This is very detailed and informative, thanks for posting..this will help a lot of people out I'm sure. My main question is, how on earth do you handle that kind of a workload (40 apps!?) What's your deadline on each app?

EdReyes
Lost but trying
location unknow...
11/15/13 07:54 PM (10 years ago)
Headed out to dinner, will post and answer questions later tonight, gotta spend some buzztouch money on the mrs.

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
11/15/13 08:23 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for taking the time to write that. Very generous of you to share your strategies. N:D

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
11/15/13 10:17 PM (10 years ago)
Nice stuff, Ed. Huge Thanks for the share :) Cheers! -- Smug

0z2000tv
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 10, 2011
Nashville
11/15/13 11:55 PM (10 years ago)
Ed, Love your sales material. Sounds like you have a great extension to your business. Thank you for sharing your business model. Mike

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 28, 2011
San Diego
11/16/13 01:29 AM (10 years ago)
Looking forward to part 2 :)

shenry
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Orange County, ...
11/16/13 02:18 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks for sharing a very innovative and saavy marketing approach. I'm curious how you communicate with your clients. Do you make your pitch via email or face-to-face. If you were ever up for doing a video of this post, it would make a remarkable tutorial.

shenry
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Orange County, ...
11/16/13 02:21 AM (10 years ago)
...and congrats on earning your 3rd star.

Intrege
Veteran developer
Reg: Sep 12, 2011
Philadelphia, P...
11/16/13 03:30 AM (10 years ago)
Nice information. Can't wait on the second part. Thanks for everything.

EdReyes
Lost but trying
location unknow...
11/16/13 04:01 AM (10 years ago)
@Absentia - I'm very skilled at a lot of technologies, all self taught, Before buzztouch I explored other services, iBuildApp, Conduit mobile, etc. If I wanted to compete and be completely private label my service based on a DIY platform, I had to figure out the break even point and what would I be losing in terms of not owning the code. I told all my clients that from the time we say go, it will be a 2 month window, that's a lot of buffer room. Plus other companies say 45-60 day turn around, with a 2 week window for AppStore Approval. As far as 40 I have a workflow that I came up with to streamline the process. I have to look at all my clients and say why would they benefit from having a mobile app. Most of the sites I've done for them are already wordpress mobile responsive, but that would mean entering the url in the mobile browser. My thought process is I'm not going to want to put the whole site into an App, but what features would be useful that are native to the mobile device, mapping, tap to call, email, sms, note taking or recording, image taking etc. So in essence a hybrid App. I'll go into more detail in Making Money Building Apps : Phase 02 I've been using all the Adobe products since they first came out after Corel Draw was on the market way back when. Sites like graphicriver.net is my best friend. If you've got a basic knowledge of photoshop and illustrator getting through one app is a breeze, you'll find downloads for iOS7 UI phone mockups etc. I've spent close to 10k in the past 6 years on templates and themes. I must have 6TB of purchased content. So if it's a flyer or facebook cover, every new client is different I can mix and match elements from different templates to come up with the basic screens for the App. In a lot of the recorded webinars after David has gone through building a live ugly App, just to show the process. I hear callers saying can you show me an example of a polished App, I'll be honest and transparent, I was in the same boat. I've researched 50+ profiles before joining buzztouch, just to see, if it's not a drag and drop visual editor on the backend, could I truly customize an App that would be up to par with what I build out now. Not be tied down to the stock ui elements. I saw the plugin market, ok I'll purchase all the ones that are dual platform, deconstruct it and put the pieces together. That took about a day or 2. Next step was to blueprint a visual sitemap just like a website and prep the art work. My first App just learning took 24 hours. Now that I understand the programming side and i'm superfast in mocking up the screens. I say production time for me from simple to complex App is 3-5 hours, from what I've mapped out, I'll be done with all 40 before Thanksgiving. If I'm in iron man mode probably in 5 days. I'm not tooting my own horn, just my own reality, I've spent thousands on my own work environment http://edreyes.deviantart.com/gallery/37926483 Hours learning each platform, and I know unless you're competing with me shared knowledge is my best tool in building a network of experienced developers no matter what the projects are. So if my experience helps others, in trying to find the answers, no problem. I don't know everything, am always learning. 3 stars, 10k+ points woo hoo. My advice, master the development as the foundation, but perfect the design, that's what sells, the visual. Case in point osx vs windows, they are both built with programming code. Which interface do most gravitate to?

EdReyes
Lost but trying
location unknow...
11/16/13 05:35 AM (10 years ago)
On a side note to the BT member in asia, thanks for using my hostgator affiliate code in the screenshots "myappcoupon" <- an extra $125 bucks in Feb 2014. I came back from dinner and got this in my email. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qmwv492lwqic17/myappcoupon-BTC01.jpg Very generous, I'll put it towards my Appreneur Workshop this winter. I'll be training and mentoring kids aging out of foster care and are competing with others that are fortunate enough to have stable homes and access to further their education. I often volunteer my photography services to an organization called http://kidsave.org listening and meeting the kids and their social workers, there is so much potential in enriching another person's life as a friend and mentor. They just need guidance and inspiration from a 44 year old kid stuck in the superhero universe. With Buzztouch I can at least get them started in building their own Android App and a residual income online. Just like my workshop I did for facebook fan pages/social media for business owners in 2011, i've since upgraded my setup. Boring video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbyMk-oQ0WE, I live in a small house, had the mansion before, lost it all in the internet bubble, homeless, and if it wasn't for one of my students that I taught webdesign to and his Aunt that took me in. I wouldn't be here today to give back to others in need of any opportunity. Plus if I didn't have my stem cell transplant in 2010, I'd be gone, made a promise to myself to pay it forward and help others in need, especially since this economy sucks. So what about iApps, working on that, my new client was Steve Jobs, executive assistant and was a big part of creating iTunes. She helps volunteer to feed the homeless on skid row in LA with my group, I plan on hitting her up to get Apple to sponsor Mac Books for my kids that will be a 2014 summer workshop. Hey every bit helps, thanks for the commission. This is just the beginning. Ed

EdReyes
Lost but trying
location unknow...
11/16/13 08:00 AM (10 years ago)
@shenry I developed great working relationships with my clients, never really needed a website to market myself, all word of mouth. To answer your question how do I communicate with my clients, the pitch. The prep work, I'll use a real world example. It does take an investment on my part, but if you know your client well enough, it's not a pitch for me. Client: Kym Johnson, celebrity pro dancer a bunch of things Website: http://officialkymjohnson.com Fans: Active since site relaunch in 03/13 average 1 million page views per month. Currently Judging in Australia's Dancing with the Stars. She emails me last week and says, Ed I'm doing a really cool fitness thing here, what do you think about adding it to my website? I'll be home in the US by Thanksgiving. Let's meet. Sure no problem let me think about the idea. I email her back and say hey Kym let me show you what I was working on thinking you were going to be competing in this season of USA's Dancing with the Stars 17, check out the images. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1goyzmbkyu1ciew/FacebookAppCover.jpg Yeah no other pro-dancers have a mobile App for themselves so that the viewer can click from their iphone tap to call in they're vote, tap to sms they're vote, link to abc page to vote, link to facebook app to vote, get push notifications of the judges scores, have her tweets incorporated, etc. I've been with the show since my friend won the first season, managing prodancers and celebrities fanbases, I have a dedicated server just to handle the millions of email addresses I've accumulated, crazy fans, but hey for celebs, that's their bread and butter. Ok so she emails me back, "Wow, had I known." My response let's put a free mobile app, have your fans download it, and once you're home, I'll produce and shoot your fitness content. and make it an inApp purchase. Have fans track their progress, etc." Kym, "wow, that's awesome lets start ASAP." Same with all my clients, I either say hey, I'm getting into Mobile App Development", they all know what an App is, "I want to get your feedback on an idea I have. Would you mind if I email an image for you to take a look at, it's just an idea." They say "sure, send it to me." what they don't know that it's a mockup of their mobile App. They immediately call with, "Wow, is this for me?" I say, "It could be, I'm just experimenting thinking about adding it to my portfolio, why? what do you have in mind?" They say, "will this be expensive?" I say, "Yup, nothing is free, but let's first figure out how you can generate a revenue stream or enhance your business first." So I call this my Shock and Awe pitch. Have the client engage in the wanting, if they say hey, not interested, I say cool, no worries. But again when they see the visual, their head starts spinning. Most of my clients have been pitched to, but they value my knowledge and my thought process on how this project will benefit the two of us. Bottom line you just need to guide the client from what you know you can do, to solve their problem. If you're serious never BS the client just to get the project. Not worth it. Like David B said at buzzcon 13, transparency is key. OK so outside of my time, what was my investment. and what about the voting app, Had to pull the plug on the dwts voting app, in the contracts that they can't produce something that would be an unfair advantage to the others. No worries, I can still build out the App to function for something else. Cost for the mockup in my Facebook Cover. $17 App Icon Generator http://graphicriver.net/item/app-icon-generator-bundle/3074005 $6 Kym's Splash Screen http://graphicriver.net/item/ecstacy-flyer-template/3049237 $6 Emma's Splash Screen http://graphicriver.net/item/flyer-dancing-star/5423331 $6 Sasha's Splash Screen http://graphicriver.net/item/winter-night-flyer-template/5478697 $8 Kym's iOS UI http://graphicriver.net/item/ios-ui-bundle/4926112 $8 Emma and Sasha's iOS UI http://graphicriver.net/item/travel-ui-kit-for-phonetablet-retina-hd-75-psds/3724335 $7 for iPhone 5s Mockup http://graphicriver.net/item/phone-5s-mock-up-kit-9-files-3-phone-colors/5592542 $58.00 for my Shock and Awe email setup. For these client's I sent their own individual mockup plus the group facebook cover. Nailing 3 celebrity clients spending less than $60 to grab their attention, no brainer. Before Buzztouch, I already built this with html5, css3. in Dreamweaver CC,signup for my Phonegap account. Setup all my developer SDK accounts, then upload for a Phonegap build. Or Accelerator's Titanium SDK. Now that I'm self hosted I can do all this for iOS and Android, if they want all platforms, Windows 8, Blackberry, Tiezen. Then I up sell them at an additional cost. Hope you guys are finding my posts useful, again this is what I'm doing. I'm not a millionaire or even a thousandaire, just a geek. Still waiting for my walk on role in The Big Bang Theory. Check that off my bucket list. I'm thinking if there is a big demand for me to create video tutorials, I'd consider it, so long as it serves the BT community. Maybe a private site so that members that didnt't see these tips, have something they can bookmark to? Any thoughts? Or suggestions? buZZup.com "whats up" ehh, let me think Ed have a great weekend.

AppOne
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Apr 03, 2012
London
11/16/13 10:19 AM (10 years ago)
Nice detailed guide, thanks!!

SheriDee
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 23, 2011
location unknow...
11/16/13 10:37 AM (10 years ago)
SHAAAAZAM!!!!! Ed, this is incredible. Many of us, including myself get so overwhelmed on what steps to do in order to get started or organize a business. We are delighted to have you in this community! What you are doing is some outstanding stuff and believe you are on the right track on possibly creating fantastic information on how to REALLY get into the app business. I believe there is a big demand on ANY material that helps us succeed. ESPECIALLY step by step processes. So I vote YES on videos! Just so you know, we have some incredible members that contribute to our "How To" section and earn their ranks to the top 25. I believe sir you do qualify! Emailing my recommendation as we speak! Keep on Keeping on and welcome to the Buzztouch family :)

EdReyes
Lost but trying
location unknow...
11/16/13 10:52 AM (10 years ago)
@sheri thanks for your kind words, hopes this brings a ray of sunshine to the northwest, time to get buZZing!

Anetta
Lost but trying
Reg: Nov 13, 2013
London
11/24/13 05:09 PM (10 years ago)
I'm impressed EdReyes!!! Thanks for sharing your strategies and for all the resources. I'd love to see your tutorial videos.

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 07, 2011
West Midlands
03/12/14 08:25 AM (10 years ago)
I'm just going to print this off and study it. Thanks for sharing this Ed. Really generous of you. Where do I get clients? John.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.